Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Low Boost On Stock Compression

Old 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Cool guys thanks for the replies and good info.

So is tanc dis-agreeing with enthalpy's theory that my 38mm gate was just fine?

Because I really don't think that 38 could do the job, I mean, nearly instant creep 5 psi past the gate pressure at 4800 rpm on an engine that needs to go all the way to 7500? Not to mention the power of the cams when I was na didn't even kick in until 5300 rpm, I mean, there was no way that gate could bypass enough exhaust gas. I am not doubting your knowledge or skill in any way, I just can't see how a few more degrees of advanced timing could change that much.

And wouldn't I want my cam timing to be set to where they flow the most air technically? If that is the case their setting is near perfect as they sit so...

I will be keeping the 38mm gate until I get her tuned just in case Damon you are correct. fing02.gif . I am a bit worried about an excessive pressure drop upon gate opening as well, but the result is yet to be seen (give me a couple of days to finish fabrication and installation).

Keep the debates/info coming guys, either way its all very good to have it on the forum for others to view later. I like to think the truth comes out in debates, people argue their cases and the end result is usually the correct one. cool.gif

Oh and I am using aeroequip adapters, so the quality is similar to earls. I will try the rtv this time around and hope for the best. The tape was only SLIGHTLY leaking.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

awesome info guys, keep it coming.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i prefer to use liquid teflon tread sealer (permatex has a good one)
- it won't jam up small oil passages (aka oils feed holes in your ball bearing turbo)
- it's cheap
- it's made to do exactly that job ;-)
Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I misread Enthalpy, I thought he was stating that BB have only a very small advantage over journal bearings.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:53 PM

Oh,

The wastegate came in already! I got all my new lines/adapters too! All I am waiting for now is the restrictor/filter and it should be here thursday. smile.gif

I got the manifold all done, the larger 1 7/8" piping is welded on, and the v-band clamp is welded to that in the perfect position. It came out great. The turbo is bolted to the manifold, all the lines are connected, the manifold is obviously torqued to the head.

All that is left is to zip-tie all the lines, install the downpipe, connect the wideband, install the gate and fabricate the dump pipe.

Should be done tomorrow.

And I used the thread seal tape again, wrapped it about 4 times around each fitting to ensure a proper seal. The fittings bottom out before they get extremely tight though, probably only about 20 ft/lbs on them, of course I wouldn't think I should be tightening them any more than that. If they leak I will go get some liquid teflon sealer; that stuff doesn't get cooked by the high temps?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

i must have at least 4 BB turbos at the shop wich wnet bad because a piece of teflon tape got in the little opil feed holes

liquid teflon works nicely and doesn't block anything in case it gets in the oil passages
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

TD,

when do you plan on posting up pics of your setup...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

when he buys a camera (from me, PM. I have a cool Sony Dimage Z2, $30..) wink1.gif
Old 04-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Hey there guys,

Got it all back together! New gate and the FP inline restrictor/filter.

Haven't road tested it yet as it is raining and the tib doesn't see the rain if I can help it so sad.gif . No fun for today.

I can't rave enough about how nice it is to have a v-band wastegate. This time the pipe coming off the gate is STRAIGHT down, instead of pulling an additional 90 degree bend after going through the gate itself. I really can't see creep being an issue anymore.

Unfortunately I did use the tape, but I don't wrap it all the way to the end where the fluid flows I leave one clean thread there so no tape can ever get in the flow path. The damaged turbos you have were probably installed by retards or they were unlucky.

As far as pics, I have been so concentrated on getting the car DONE to the point where I can just get in and drive the thing with no worries I have had no time or energy to take them and post the up, sorry. I just hope there is no boost creep issue so I can actually see what she's got at 10 psi!

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, I'll post up some info when it is dry out tongue.gif .
Old 04-03-2008, 06:22 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

Yeah this weather does suck. I got stuck on the other side of my gym's parking lot because it was full up and had to run/walk in it.

Can't wait to see the car man! If I don't have to help my buddy sunday, I'll bring my camera to take pics.

Quick Reply: Low Boost On Stock Compression