Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Low Boost On Stock Compression

Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

When I upgrade I will be using all Vband stuff if I can. Just so much better and easier.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Got it all back together and running!

Still had an issue with boost creep, I advanced the timing a couple of degrees and now it creeps to 14 at redline WOT.

I can live with it, it's a little high boost wise, and there isn't much additional power past 11 psi though, I think it's because I have the timing dropping off pretty quickly at that point so..

No smoke or roughness at WOT near 15 psi so I would assume the engine is in good shape and holding up (so far).

I was wondering if I was to advance the timing a bit more in the 12-15 psi range if I could actually get it to hold at 10 psi? Right now I believe the timing is somewhere around 10-5 advanced in those areas so I don't think I want to risk it anymore.

No leaks anywhere, still a very mild amount of smoke when idling more than 5 minutes on my slanted driveway.

BTW: Car is INSANE fast, I am going to get into trouble in this thing! haha.gif
Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 PM

Hey there everyone,

I have 1 new issue, just happened tonight for the first time.

In first gear if I mash it, when it hits gate pressure it starts to kind of break up, like the srt4 sound, raahhhp blap blap blap!

But it ONLY does it in first gear when boost onset is very quick, and my afr's are still low 11-10.5:1. I pulled some lower boost timing and added some fuel at lower rpm, but it still does it? It never used to and now all of a sudden?

It isn't pre-ignition or detonation is it? It is coming from the exhaust, like it is rich as hell and detonating in the downpipe or something? Is that possible?

I am going to pull my plugs and check the condition/gap, maybe reduce the gap to around .035 instead of .044".

All the other gears it is smooth as can be, and I can't make it to 7000 rpm without creep to 16 psi (my fuel cut). I need to get that stethascope asap tanc! That way I can HEAR how she is running.

As for timing, at 15 psi it is around 8-10 near redline, safe? I guess no one knows, but it sounds and feels perfectly fine, no roughness whatsoever. Afr's in the high 10's. I think I can advance it a bit more and pull some fuel, which will REALLY help my boost creep issue. Will I feel/hear slight detonation? I probably won't hear it being that it is open gate though, car is loud as hell. I was thinking of advancing timing until I feel roughness and then backing it off. But think about it, since advancing timing reduces boost creep, I will not push as much boost so in a way it is like an even trade as far as risking the engine?

Some info as far as this loud backfire at WOT in first gear would be nice though.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You really need to take a video dude, I have no idea what your sound effects mean LOL.

When the gate opens and your still in WOT it sounds like a machine gun is going off?

Btw, I'm shipping it Monday, I just got it from my supplier Friday. It was in my pm.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Cool, thanks.

Yeah, kind of does sound like that, going to drive it today and see what happens with it, could have been fluke.

First thing I am going to do is check the plugs right now and see how they look.

The noise in 1st COMPLETELY went away. Maybe the smaller gap helped it or it WAS just a fluke? I don't know but it runs beautifully.

Plugs look fine, a little black from how rich it is, but the porcelan is a light tan, perfect.

Made the gap a bit smaller, .040".

Put my valve cover vent through the catch can and to the breather, and ran the pcv to the IM where my boost/vac gauge used to be hooked up.

Tee'd the gauge into an existing 1/8" line, now it actually reads closer to what the MAP sensor does so I guess it worked perfect.

Let the car idle for a good 5-10 minutes and no smoke at all so maybe that did fix it.

Gave her a bit more timing advance and the creep settled down a bit, can get to 7000 at 15=16 psi (set fuel cut to 17). I am really pushing the limits here but I have 2 spare blocks in the basement and wiseco pistons already, I figure if she goes then it's an excuse to spend a bit more money on some pauters/arp stuff and get the boost up to 25 psi!

Will get pics soon.

BTW: is 10 degrees of timing at 5500 rpm and 15 psi too much? Like I said it feels very smooth.

I need to mess with the cam timing to see if that helps as well.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats what Ill be doing with mine also. Boosting until she blows. My block goes in this week for the machining though so I might just get bored and swap it in right away.

All ARP hardware
CP pistons
Pauter Rods
fing02.gif

Get us some videos!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 PM

NICE!

The way I see it, is that our rods can hold just over 400 whp right?

The ONLY factor that could cause premature engine failure would be pre-ignition or detonation right?

Or possibly the pistons coming apart but I doubt that, and like I said my combustion chambers are butter smooth with no sharp edges at all, so as long as I am giving her enough fuel and a safe amount of timing, the 15-16 psi should do too much damage right?

And 2 degrees of timing change has a HUGE impact on power, definately noticable.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

Almost sounds like spark blowout.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:55 PM

Yeah, that's why I decreased the spark plug gaps from .044 to .040". It must have worked because now all I hear is spinning tire and open gate, haha.gif !
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra

pull it back to .038". Thats what I'd set mine at.

Quick Reply: Low Boost On Stock Compression