Race Wars This forum is for the members to discuss their races and wins...just remember that you might get called out if you say you beat a Lambo with your stock Hyundai!

Auto Vs Manual

Old 05-12-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gains would probably be 12-13. CAI is around 8whp, probably the most power I'll feel while modding N/A for now, and for a catback gains are lucky if you get 10whp. I've heard of the ARK catback reaching 13whp though. I agree that there's no way this would make 21whp out of just CAI/catback.

**EDIT**

I've been meaning to ask someone about the torque converter that LevelTen has. Doesn't it compensate for low end torque? I think it's one of the only ways my auto will ever be able to compete with manual tranny cars.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

after all this talk i think im going to buy the ARK catback, put this ebay CAI on, and this summer ill save for turbo..apparently since im auto there's no other way to get a somewhat fast car
16.5 with i/h/e on an XD? that's insane, that should be the time if you're STOCK.
at least we know that our autos can handle boost well, speed factor's 14psi on all stock internals and auto trans. plus i'll be keeping it low-boost.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:46 PM

I'd rather s/c.smile.gif
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 12 2005, 10:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>after all this talk i think im going to buy the ARK catback, put this ebay CAI on, and this summer ill save for turbo..apparently since im auto there's no other way to get a somewhat fast car
16.5 with i/h/e on an XD? that's insane, that should be the time if you're STOCK.
at least we know that our autos can handle boost well, speed factor's 14psi on all stock internals and auto trans. plus i'll be keeping it low-boost.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Once again stock auto tib will run 17s, not 16.5.

To be honest with you, best mod you can do is swap your tranny man! You should be in mid-low 16s with a swap and have a lot more room to grow.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 AM

Sorry for beeing OT, but does anybody have a link to a site where I can calculate 1/4mile times by entering 0-60 times and stuff like that (I hope you know what I am talking about 02.gif )?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 AM

I just made a sticky in Drag Racing section.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its mainly guesstimation that I'm doing for quarter-miles based on 0-60 from experience because different cars have different gearing, different drivetrains, and different mods.

A 6.0sec 0-60 on an RSX and a 6.0sec on a GK Tib are going to result in majorly different quarter mile times. The GK has almost optimum 70/30 weight distribution for FWD, and lots of low-end torque, so it gets to 60 fast, but has no high end. The RSX is completely different, and will end up going through the quarter around half a second faster because of better gearing and having more hp.

Yes, level 10 makes good upgrades for autos. That would make your auto stay with a manual. The price? $3000 with install. Worth it? No in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grottenolm @ May 13 2005, 08:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry for beeing OT, but does anybody have a link to a site where I can calculate 1/4mile times by entering 0-60 times and stuff like that (I hope you know what I am talking about 02.gif )?
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

You can buy a GTech..I've never used it for horsepower measurements but at least it will give you a general indication on where you're at. There are computer programs like DeskTop Dyno but I've never used it before and don't know if it will for for our car per say.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Okay I have an auto

mods: new 10mm spark plugs, headers, exhaust system, and resonator removal

My car is extremely slow, especially at rpms below about 3500. When I test my 0-60mph times, which I have done many many times, I also get high 9's/low 10's with those mods. Now these are times that I get when just flooring it (no revving before start or anything) and I don't have an official time slip but I'm going to stand by what OP is saying. A few years back before I got my red tib, me and my dad went to a dealership and we found a white auto 1999 tib fx. When we took it for a drive he said he loved it. After getting my current car, he finally told me why he liked that other white tib so much. He said it was the perfect car for a teenager with the want for adrenaline rushes because it was a dog! Meaning that it was really slow. He laughed about how it looked fast but seemed like nothing was going on under the hood lol.gif

Also, take into consideration sharkev's times. For those of you who havent read his posts, he has been to the track and received official time slips showing how slow the auto RD tib is. He also has mods similar to mine (except im sure his rims with tires weigh much more than mine since mine are probably some of the lightest here) and I believe if i were to go to the track I would receive the same times.

About the things that make an auto compete with a manual tranny, such as the torque converter. Don't those kill an auto's gas milage?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i'll tell ye though, as much as i hate auto, they're not that slow in the higher gears.

ultimately, 5 speed is just all round better for track racing and cornering because you can get the most out of a gear. with auto you're always in the wrong gear and you will never get the most out of it.