Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cold Air Intake Question

Old 12-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not that simple when your in construction doing 85mph with the flow of traffic. Thats the norm here in florida. Also, who wants to stop traffic in the rain to take off their CAI? That sounds dangerous in of itself if there is no immediate parking lot to pull into.

Redzman, your idea might work in less congested areas but I think the convenience of a bypass filter outweighs its low price in any area IMO.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'll stop on the freeway and do it. I gives a fizzle.

Everone makes excuses on why NOT to fix the problem or how it was unavoidable, that's bullshit. Take responsibility for your actions, or lack of them, and do what needs done. If the rain is so bad that you are getting water in your intake, you are NOT going to be doing 85.

Or you have a rudder on the back of your tib.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4g64fiero @ Dec 4 2008, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Before anyone says anything it was a clear day before I went into the theatre then it started to rain while driving home. A monsoon then ensued(this was in south dakota) that I could not have predicted.</div>
offtopic.gif
that is south dakota weather for you
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Dec 4 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'll stop on the freeway and do it. I gives a fizzle.

Everone makes excuses on why NOT to fix the problem or how it was unavoidable, that's bullshit. Take responsibility for your actions, or lack of them, and do what needs done. If the rain is so bad that you are getting water in your intake, you are NOT going to be doing 85.</div>

So your claiming there will never be a situation that you cant control in which your engine can be hydrolocked? bigeyes.gif

Also, if youve ever had body kit where the filter sticks through, you would know it can easily get soaked and bog the car down ALOT until it eventually stalls ESPECIALLY at higher speeds. That in itself is reason enough to get a bypass.

Here is a link to the thread I posted about it when it happened just to prove I'm not making this up:
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.p...ghlight=tiburon
Old 12-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

so nobody has to open the link, here is what happened...

Its was a sunny day out yesterday, so I went to the pawn shop to pick up some sockets that I could use to take off some keyed lugnuts I dont have the key for. Well, I came back out side 10 mins later and there was literally 4 inches of water covering the parking lot. Well, I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I couldnt see 20ft in front of me , I was going 25 mph and hydroplaned. The car stalled. I sat for a couple of minutes thinking, holy shit, my f***ing aem intake is down there! I started the car back up and drove it home, the entire time I could here the rod knock. I bent a f***ing rod from rain. I pulled the head today cause I thought it was a valve, but no, in the 1st cylinder, the piston wouldnt rise to its normal height in the cylinder. Goddamnit. Plus I leave for basic on monday. How gay is that?! I just painted this car this week. Well, I learned my lesson. But I had never intentionally driven my car in the rain before, I only did it cause I would be stranded but it looks like I should have called someone to pick me up.

you are calling REDZ out when this thruthfully was your own fault?

1. you obviously were off from work that day since you went to the pawn shop so you weren't in a hurry...

2. you came out seeing massive amounts of water in the parking lot which to me would've told me to wait for it to stop raining(mistake #1)...

3. after you hydroplaned (mistake #2 since later on in that thread you mentioned that your tires were bald) and then stalled out, you started your car back up and drove it home. knowing you stalled out from the hydroplaning that shoved water into your intake you didnt just stay in the place it happened or push the car to the nearest parking lot or the side of the road.

4. you drove home while the entire time you heard your engine knocking (mistake #3)

LoL, I tuthfully don't feel a damn bit sorry for you bud.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:53 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, after thinking about it, even if I had a filter in the trunk, there's no way I'd get out in the pouring rain to change it. I'd most likely attempt to ford the puddle and hope for the best. I need to get a bypass vavle.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4g64fiero @ Dec 4 2008, 04:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have a bent rod in a tib engine in my garage because I ran the aem cai without a bypass filter. If you have an aem filter with it and not some ebay filter then it will suck water up easily.

Before anyone says anything it was a clear day before I went into the theatre then it started to rain while driving home. A monsoon then ensued(this was in south dakota) that I could not have predicted.

All I'm saying is that you never know what will happen and what if there is water on the road you cant stop before or drive around like when your in heavy traffic?</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (4g64fiero @ Dec 4 2008, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its not that simple when your in construction doing 85mph with the flow of traffic. Thats the norm here in florida. Also, who wants to stop traffic in the rain to take off their CAI? That sounds dangerous in of itself if there is no immediate parking lot to pull into.

Redzman, your idea might work in less congested areas but I think the convenience of a bypass filter outweighs its low price in any area IMO.</div>

rereading your posts, it says in the first one that you were in south dakota, and in the second one says that you were in the flow of traffic in contrustion in florida...? so which one was it, because i live in south dakota, and know that 1) construction will last maybe 25 miles at the very MAX and 2) there are shoulders on ALL major interstates for sure, and i would say 99% of all highways have a shouler on both sides of the road, it is simple enough to pull over considering the shoulder is big enough you have room to move around without getting smashed by traffic

it would definitely be worth it to to either A) drive the 25 miles and then pull off the filter, or B) pull over and take off the filter rather than hydrolocking the motor
Old 12-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Hey There is a hydrophobic filter cover it repels most splashing water. It wont help if you submerge it but a lot eaiser to slip on then taking the CAI off.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2582A0A0.aspx

Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UrS0NvS @ Dec 4 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>you are calling REDZ out when this thruthfully was your own fault?

LoL, I tuthfully don't feel a damn bit sorry for you bud.</div>
Did I ever ask for your sympathy? No. I'm just stating maybe some people dont feel like having to pull over every time it rains to change intakes. Is that so hard to understand?

What if it rains and your on your way to work? Now you stand a chance of being late because you have to pull over to change intakes. This is redundant at best and blantantly pointless when you guy a 30$ (at most) bypass valve.

And your completely right, it was my fault my engine was messed up. I SHOULD OF BOUGHT A BYPASS VALVE. That was my point. Your counter point is null since it is based around the same idea as the original point I made in that thread on dsmtalk.

Besides, I'm merely depating a point and trying to help. If your panties are in a wad about that then you misunderstood my intentions.

For yellow lightning,

I went to college in Rapid City and then joined the Air force. I'm currently stationed at Patrick AFB, fl. My tiburon is down here with me as my wife drives it everyday.

There are ussually concrete barricades on bothsides of the lane on the interstate where there is construction. It is also like this on the toll roads. Even if there wasnt, I still retain the ideal that pulling over everytime it rains is a waste of time considering the options.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rayne9707 @ Dec 4 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hey There is a hydrophobic filter cover it repels most splashing water. It wont help if you submerge it but a lot eaiser to slip on then taking the CAI off.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A2582A0A0.aspx</div>

That is a good idea in theory, but isn't that basically like having a pre-filter for your air filter? That thing would require alot of cleaning with the smaller surface area and the particulate filtering is much better which will collect alot more dust quicker. It's easier just to get a bypass valve

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

Why do the AEM bypass valves cost 25 times the generic filters?