Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cold Air Intake Question

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here is the Question I have a cold air intake on my 2000 tib should i get a bypass valve or hydrophobic cover for my filter, or do i not need anything?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

You don't need it, as long as you NEVER drive through water which is at a level of more than a few inches off ground.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

yea you shouldnt need it, i have gone through puddles almost 6 inches or more deep (on accident) and havent had a problem with mine
Old 11-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Well i live in warren Oh and some of the streets get sitting puddles which are sometimes a inch or two deep.

Ok thanks guys
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM

I think the bypass is a load of bs. I mean I live in Florida and I havent had any problems.

As long as you clean and inspect it regularly you should be fine.

just dont go mudding or anyhting, then you might need one.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have run into TWO times where my CAI sucked up too much water and my engine died. I had to dry out the filter, MAF, and TB hose and let it sit for 15-25 minutes in a downpour on the side of the road before it would start up again.

I also have the Veilside front bumper, and the top of the intake has an air inlet. You can see how the intake sits right behind the vent in the bumper. I put the Bypass valve back on and have never had a problem with the valve installed.

The two times it happened, it was raining hard, roads had plenty of water, but I didn't drive through any standing water and stayed on main roads or the interstate. The engine died, and felt like it was gasping for it's last breath before drowning... jerked a few times and stopped as I let off the gas, but within seconds it crapped out.

Some say they lose a few HP using the bypass valve, but if it's going to save my engine, I'll use it. I'm sure I'm losing some power, and I can tell a difference in the tone of the CAI when it's on vs. when it's off (suction and exhaust).

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

it just depends on where you are and how particular you really are. being that since a CAI doesnt add much in terms of HP, adding the bypass valve just depends on you.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM

Majik injen makes a hydrophobic air filter cover thats supposed to repel water and doesnt take away horsepower. Might be something to look into
Old 11-12-2008, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

It doesn't add much HP but for the price it's hard to beat. As long as you watch when it's raining and avoid puddles as best you can you will be fine without a bypass. You have to drive slower in the rain anyways, misewell keep an eye out for deeper water.

I drove through water half way up my door with the cai and... no it wasn't fine, I hydro-locked my engine lol. 2 out of 4 cylinders full of water. I did not willingly drive into the water.. it's a long story. I can tell you how to fix the water in the engine problem if it ever happens to you and it doesn't bend a rod though

I say don't bother with the bypass... it negates any gains you would get by putting another filter where water wont get in it. Problem is the air is hot where the water wont reach and it will just heat the air your CAI brings in.....

Long post short - If you are going to drive through 3 feet of water then get the by-pass valve. If not then just keep an eye open in the rain
Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My CAI was the 3rd modification I made to my car. I've been running it for almost 3 1/2 years now. It is great and I have never hydrolocked my engine. That VeilSide kit with the big open area in the front directing water into the filter might cause problems. I've driven through snow and rain, sleet, ice, cross country, through (I never measured) 8" puddles. I've never had an issue. I just slow down and take puddles so as not to splash water too much. I think the CAI on a stock bumper with a fog light blank is a great option.

I run a standard AEM dryflow air filter. Here's a picture with the bumper off. Note the AEM has a flat face instead of a 2nd cone

here is a picture of the fog light blanks. This is the wrong side, but you cannot see my air filter from either side
<a href="http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/DrivingTibNaked/100_3609-1.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>