Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cold Air Intake Question

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The smartest thing to do is to carry a spare filter and a wrench or screwdriver. If you go out to your car and it's raining so hard you are really worried you are going to drive through water that deep, then disconnect your CAI in front of the MAF, and pop your spare filter on there. Or just go filterless for a bit, not like there's a ton of dust or dirt you'll suck up when it's raining like that.

I know where I drive, I know where the deep puddles show up, I avoid them.

don't forget though, your exhaust tip is low too, and if water can fill your CAI, you can kill your engine with the exhaust too. Ever wonder why military vehicles, especially for the Marines, have snorkels for their intake AND exhaust?

It's because if you fill your exhaust with water, you'll kill the engine.

I KNOW someone is going to do the whole "YOU LIVE IN A DESERT OMFGSTFUNOOB!!!" thing again, but blow me, we get lots of flash flooding here, and a little dip in the road can quickly become a 12 inch deep pond. 2 months ago we had a good storm, and there were import cars parked just after each one, engines dead from either a ingestion or exhaust flooding.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Eh... I feel I should add clarity to my previous post.

The Veilside kit will direct more water onto your filter. It will probably only be a little (mostly water spraying from the tires of the vehicle in front of you) but it probably did contribute to my engine hydrolocking both times. Also, I believe I ran my CAI for around 3-4 years. Only two instances did I have trouble, and it was raining very hard and for a few days.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

like everyone said...it depends on you...i like what REDZ said...you can always go short ram intake and put the filter on the maf...

i hydrolocked my engine as well, but it was my dumb ass fault, did not think the paddle was deeper then it was and no car for 3 weeks...
Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I like what REDZ said too. I'll keep that next to my toolbox, road flares, orange reflective vest, fire extinguisher, safety goggles, ice scraper, tire pressure/depth gauge, touch up paint, and care cleaning supplies. in my trunk with my nitrous oxide bottle, subwoofer, amplifier and TV for no reason.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

really? You keep all that in your trunk? I don't even have a spare tire... all I have is a huge box with two oversized subs.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ agreed minus the subs, no spare, and nothing else

DTN has an odd obsession with keeping alot of extras in the car nana.gif
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I don't always keep my road flares or the reflecter vest. The rest stays in the trunk.

I would never remove my spare tire or jack. Tow trucks cost too much money and a friend might not be available to give me a ride to get a spare tire. Also, the military requires that I keep it.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM

^^^ no canned food, candles, batteries, in there, DTN? joke.gif

On topic, though, this is why I prefer a shortram than a CAI.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 AM

I have a bent rod in a tib engine in my garage because I ran the aem cai without a bypass filter. If you have an aem filter with it and not some ebay filter then it will suck water up easily.

Before anyone says anything it was a clear day before I went into the theatre then it started to rain while driving home. A monsoon then ensued(this was in south dakota) that I could not have predicted.

All I'm saying is that you never know what will happen and what if there is water on the road you cant stop before or drive around like when your in heavy traffic?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Then stop or drive around the heavy traffic. who cares if you have to stop traffic for 1 minute or 2 to disconnect your CAI. Get out, pop it off, get in, drive off.