Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Automatic to Manual conversion

Old 03-24-2002, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fordfaster!!
Everything bolts up perfectly with no problems.The speedo and everything works fine with no prroblems.
If you have a 1st gen Tib and you want to do swap to a manuel you need a tranny thats from a first gen Tib for it to line up to yor block perfectly.I dont recall what production date it would be but i believe March 2000 and under will bolt staright up to the block without a problem.After March of 2000 and up this will only fit the 2nd Gen Tiburons.Other than that everything should just go smooth
Old 03-24-2002, 07:40 PM

2 UNIQ, you have a private message!!
Old 03-24-2002, 11:20 PM

ok, i have a 1999 elantra auto with MAF.

what are the exact years and models that i can use a manual trans for a direct bolt-on fit to my car?

please list..

YEAR: MODEL:

PLEASE this will be helpful in finding the parts locally....

also, will the starter from the auto bolt into the manual ?

does the clutch pedal assembly bolt right in ? or do i have to rip anything apart first ?

do i have to cut a hole in the firewall for the shifter cables and clutch master cylinder?

[ March 25, 2002, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: FordFasteR ]
Old 03-25-2002, 03:27 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

There is already a perforation on the firewall for the clutch cylinders and pedal. Just need a dremel and connect the dots, lol.

Not sure about cables, i'll ask later today, but shadohh think he ran them through the automatic cable's holes.

You will need a brake pedal and clutch from the manual, as the autotragic pedal is the big ole wide POS.

You will need a starter motor from a manual.

I REALLY recommmend getting the hyundai shop manual or the chiltons book for this car. Its a life saver.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:00 AM

Wow.. that many people want to do a swap.. why didn't you guys just buy the manual in the first place? aren't they cheaper anyways?
Old 03-25-2002, 07:27 AM

I don't wanna talk about it I have regretted it since the day I bought my Tib in '97.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>FordFasteR:
ok, i have a 1999 elantra auto with MAF.

what are the exact years and models that i can use a manual trans for a direct bolt-on fit to my car?

please list..

YEAR: MODEL:

PLEASE this will be helpful in finding the parts locally....

also, will the starter from the auto bolt into the manual ?

does the clutch pedal assembly bolt right in ? or do i have to rip anything apart first ?

do i have to cut a hole in the firewall for the shifter cables and clutch master cylinder?</div>Yes the Tibby tranny manufactured from March 2000 and below that will bolt up to your block without a problem.
Regarding the starter you do need a manuel starter as thats included in the kit which i can get.
Im not sure with the Elantras but i know that the Tibbys you have to drill a hole for the clutch pedal.This is not a big deal because your car is up on the Hoist with pretty much everything ripped out and you have plenty of room to drill through the wall.
This is one thing that Hyundai is different from most other Imports like Hondas where the walls for both Auto and Manuel are already precut and makes it easy for an install.I dont understand why Hyundai make the Auto and Manuel different,BUT like i said its not a big deal to drill a hole knowing that you have room and you wont have a problem!!
You do need a manuel brake pedal as the Auto is Big!!
I do recommend this to anyone that has an Auto and wants a 5 speed.
If you r car is Bone stock your better off trading it in but if you have alot of Cosmetic work and engine work done to your Tibby LIKE ME then its not worth trading it in and just do the swap.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:01 AM

man, this entire ordeal is gonna cost me almost 2000 bux installed.

i'm considering a 5.0L 5 speed coupe again.

at least with that, i can already run high 13's on motor, and change over my wet nitrous kit and run 12's on spray.

who knows, i can get a stang with lots of mods locally for under 4500 bux.

seems like the smarter thing to do, but then why the HELL did i sell my coupe 6 months go.. i was already going high 11's with it on street tires sad.gif

this racing thing is out of control.. WHEN WILL IT ALL END ??!!! HEHEHEE
Old 03-25-2002, 01:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Shadohh said he'll do the labor ya for $300 and a roundtrip plane ticket.

He got all of the parts for about $800, shipped.

Send him an instant message on AIM at shadohh and he'll be glad to at least dicuss the swap with ya.