Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Automatic to Manual conversion

Old 03-22-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic to Manual conversion

Hey guys,
Im considering converting my 2000 auto tibby to a 5 speed manual, and I have a few questions.

What is the success rate... in other words. If I did the conversion would my tibby run and ride as if it was manual from day one (when I bought it)?
What parts get changed/added?
How much should the parts and labor cost from my dealer?

Thanks in advance,
Börg

[ March 22, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Börg ]
Old 03-22-2002, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

From your dealer APPROXIMATELY $3,000.00
From a junkyard APPROXIMATELY $1,000.00

and that doesn't include labor, I got quoted $400.00 labor... and the parts were less than 1k just giving you an estimate from dealer to junkyard...
Old 03-22-2002, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Everyone I know or heard of who has done this is/was very happy with their conversion.

Speedblind was the first I know of to do the swap, and the only swap I have seen first hand. It ran like a manual from the factory.

There were some bugs and minor problems, but those were ironed out over time.

The sad part is, that Speedblind is now running an automatic again. His first Manual tranny died when the pressure plate/clutch assembly decided to shatter and puncture his bell housing after about 40,000 or 50,000 miles. Then the second manual tranny died after being punctured by road debris. After the costs of replacing 2 trannies...he slapped in the automatic because he had it lying around, and was cheaper than buying another manual....
Old 03-22-2002, 04:48 AM

can we get a list of parts needed cuz i am going to do the conversion this summer, and nobody has ever posted a clear list of parts needed
Old 03-22-2002, 05:26 AM

i would also like to know..

but just for curiosity's sake smile.gif hehehe
Old 03-22-2002, 06:33 AM

My conversion was done last year Succesfully and NO PROBLEMS what so ever.!!!
I cant recall the list and parts needed but here goes:
Clutch,Pressure plate throwout bearing!
Master Cylinder
Brake and Clutch pedal with all the linkages
Shifter cables and linkages
Axles but you can use your AUTO AXLES
ECU (NOT REALLY NEEDED)
Resivour
5 Speed Tranny (OF COURSE)

There might be more but i cant recall!!!
EEverything from a scrapyard should run you $1000US and labour about $400US LIKE BAT mentioned!!
I might be able to still get all the parts anyon requires to make this conversion possible.Email me who ever is intrested!! smile.gif
Old 03-22-2002, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sorry, guys, no one has created a 'shopping list' for you.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Shadohh recenty did a conversion, he's sometimes in the Team SR chat. I don't see him post on SR... rolleyes.gif He might answer a couple questions you might have.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I helped shadohh do the swap, and as of two days ago the beast is running. Running quite well actually, minus a mystery check engine light that has no code with it...

After doing it, i can honestly say that other than being a PITA at times (and really, what major modification isn't?) but its very possible to do this oneself, as long as you have some good jackstands and a friend to help you out. It would be MUCH easier with a lift tho. DO NOT expect this to be done in one day, and in a weekend is pushing it imo, especially if you do the work yourself.

I asked shadohh about it, and since you're in Pa like he is (about an hour away), he'd be willing to help you with it. His AIM s/n is shadohh, and he can usually be found over on hyundaiperformance.com.

Lets see, the only quirks i can think of are the driver's side tranny mount bolt holes dont line up between the 5spd and the auto, and the shift linkage doesn't line up on all 4 bolts. That and the CEL... There is probably more, but i can't think of it right now...
Old 03-23-2002, 02:55 AM

i wish you guys could get a REAL parts list... smile.gif