Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Hybrids (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/)
-   -   Automatic to Manual conversion (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-hybrids-70/automatic-manual-conversion-3560/)

Borg 03-22-2002 02:50 AM

Automatic to Manual conversion

Hey guys,
Im considering converting my 2000 auto tibby to a 5 speed manual, and I have a few questions.

What is the success rate... in other words. If I did the conversion would my tibby run and ride as if it was manual from day one (when I bought it)?
What parts get changed/added?
How much should the parts and labor cost from my dealer?

Thanks in advance,
Börg

[ March 22, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Börg ]

Bat Lord 03-22-2002 02:53 AM

From your dealer APPROXIMATELY $3,000.00
From a junkyard APPROXIMATELY $1,000.00

and that doesn't include labor, I got quoted $400.00 labor... and the parts were less than 1k just giving you an estimate from dealer to junkyard...

Random 03-22-2002 03:55 AM

Everyone I know or heard of who has done this is/was very happy with their conversion.

Speedblind was the first I know of to do the swap, and the only swap I have seen first hand. It ran like a manual from the factory.

There were some bugs and minor problems, but those were ironed out over time.

The sad part is, that Speedblind is now running an automatic again. His first Manual tranny died when the pressure plate/clutch assembly decided to shatter and puncture his bell housing after about 40,000 or 50,000 miles. Then the second manual tranny died after being punctured by road debris. After the costs of replacing 2 trannies...he slapped in the automatic because he had it lying around, and was cheaper than buying another manual....

Viper966 03-22-2002 04:48 AM

can we get a list of parts needed cuz i am going to do the conversion this summer, and nobody has ever posted a clear list of parts needed

FordFasteRR 03-22-2002 05:26 AM

i would also like to know..

but just for curiosity's sake smile.gif hehehe

2 UNIQ 03-22-2002 06:33 AM

My conversion was done last year Succesfully and NO PROBLEMS what so ever.!!!
I cant recall the list and parts needed but here goes:
Clutch,Pressure plate throwout bearing!
Master Cylinder
Brake and Clutch pedal with all the linkages
Shifter cables and linkages
Axles but you can use your AUTO AXLES
ECU (NOT REALLY NEEDED)
Resivour
5 Speed Tranny (OF COURSE) :D :D :D

There might be more but i cant recall!!!
EEverything from a scrapyard should run you $1000US and labour about $400US LIKE BAT mentioned!!
I might be able to still get all the parts anyon requires to make this conversion possible.Email me who ever is intrested!! smile.gif

Random 03-22-2002 06:54 AM

Sorry, guys, no one has created a 'shopping list' for you.

hyundai jvx 03-22-2002 07:39 AM

Shadohh recenty did a conversion, he's sometimes in the Team SR chat. I don't see him post on SR... rolleyes.gif He might answer a couple questions you might have.

skierd 03-22-2002 06:03 PM

I helped shadohh do the swap, and as of two days ago the beast is running. Running quite well actually, minus a mystery check engine light that has no code with it... :confused:

After doing it, i can honestly say that other than being a PITA at times (and really, what major modification isn't?) but its very possible to do this oneself, as long as you have some good jackstands and a friend to help you out. It would be MUCH easier with a lift tho. DO NOT expect this to be done in one day, and in a weekend is pushing it imo, especially if you do the work yourself.

I asked shadohh about it, and since you're in Pa like he is (about an hour away), he'd be willing to help you with it. His AIM s/n is shadohh, and he can usually be found over on hyundaiperformance.com.

Lets see, the only quirks i can think of are the driver's side tranny mount bolt holes dont line up between the 5spd and the auto, and the shift linkage doesn't line up on all 4 bolts. That and the CEL... There is probably more, but i can't think of it right now...

FordFasteRR 03-23-2002 02:55 AM

i wish you guys could get a REAL parts list... smile.gif