General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Got myself invited to a heads-up race

Old 07-16-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Got myself invited to a heads-up race

Got your attention? Good. Thing is they call this *imports-no mods*. Good thing I have yet to mod the Tib, however.. is there anything 'legal' and quick I can do to insure a good time out at the track? If I'm lined up against ..say.. a v6 Honda, how am I gonna take the guy? I really would like to win my first import heads-up race. I've bracket raced before.. but King of the Hill racing is another story. Any tips? Remember it's called *no mods*.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:41 AM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

V6 Honda? Must be an Accord your talking about huh? Anyways, I'd work out and lose some pounds, I dunno if you need to, but I do! smile.gif
Old 07-16-2001, 11:42 AM

Take the rear seats of your car out, also spare tire. Do not fill your gas tank all the way up, leave it pretty close to empty(1/4). Any weight you can lose will help and is legal!
Old 07-16-2001, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Is a K&N drop in air filter legal? It fits in the stock airbox and flows a hell of a lot more air than the stock paper filter.

Run 1/8 of a tank of High octane, and don't idle your car. The engine and radiator will heat soak, your engine only has to be warm...not hot.

If you pack ICE around/in your airbox, you will get a little colder air. Not QUITE a mod...but a trick. Just don't block off the air flow with the ice!

Remove as much weight as possible. Spare tire, jack, etc... Hell, strip out the rear and passenger seat for a night....but that might be considered a "mod".

The best tip....ignore all the above and practice, your launches. Practice pratice, practice. Try lauching with your tires on a paint strip (slippery) to get used to recovering from wheelspin...

A good launch goes a LONG way towards a good race. a .5 a second made at the start is a hell of a lot harder to make up with HP at the far end of the track!
Old 07-16-2001, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Don't forget to take out that thing behind the backseats that doesn't let people see in the hatch. You know what I'm talking about?

Anyways, good luck and take pics man!
Old 07-17-2001, 12:33 AM

what about tires? is replacing the michelins with a certain type of tire considered a "mod" ?

just wondering...
Old 07-18-2001, 12:58 AM

All Right! K&N a definate ( surely they won't consider that a power-adder), I even have access to some dry ice!
I'm still aweful 'afraid' of some new eclipse or something. Actually I'm hoping I'll get out there beside some kid w/ a 5 speed that can't drive the thing. Maybe an overanxious guy w/ a really heavy, red-lighting foot. That'd do!
Sure would be nice to bring home a trophy for the crooked H.
Old 07-18-2001, 01:00 AM

Oh yeah, and.. radial tires only.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:33 AM

Open a BIG Can of Whupp Azz!!!
VRRoooMMMM!!!

Good Luck!!! smile.gif
Old 07-18-2001, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by IX_XI:
Oh yeah, and.. radial tires only.

Do you really know anyone who still drives on Bias-Ply tires in this day and age? Hell, can you even BUY Bias Ply tires anymore....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: