Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   General Performance & Hyundai Chat (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/general-performance-hyundai-chat-10/)
-   -   Got myself invited to a heads-up race (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/general-performance-hyundai-chat-10/got-myself-invited-heads-up-race-353/)

IX_XI 07-16-2001 10:36 AM

Got myself invited to a heads-up race

Got your attention? Good. Thing is they call this *imports-no mods*. Good thing I have yet to mod the Tib, however.. is there anything 'legal' and quick I can do to insure a good time out at the track? If I'm lined up against ..say.. a v6 Honda, how am I gonna take the guy? I really would like to win my first import heads-up race. I've bracket raced before.. but King of the Hill racing is another story. Any tips? Remember it's called *no mods*.

hyundai jvx 07-16-2001 10:41 AM

V6 Honda? Must be an Accord your talking about huh? Anyways, I'd work out and lose some pounds, I dunno if you need to, but I do! smile.gif

Kasper 07-16-2001 11:42 AM

Take the rear seats of your car out, also spare tire. Do not fill your gas tank all the way up, leave it pretty close to empty(1/4). Any weight you can lose will help and is legal!

Random 07-16-2001 04:01 PM

Is a K&N drop in air filter legal? It fits in the stock airbox and flows a hell of a lot more air than the stock paper filter.

Run 1/8 of a tank of High octane, and don't idle your car. The engine and radiator will heat soak, your engine only has to be warm...not hot.

If you pack ICE around/in your airbox, you will get a little colder air. Not QUITE a mod...but a trick. Just don't block off the air flow with the ice!

Remove as much weight as possible. Spare tire, jack, etc... Hell, strip out the rear and passenger seat for a night....but that might be considered a "mod".

The best tip....ignore all the above and practice, your launches. Practice pratice, practice. Try lauching with your tires on a paint strip (slippery) to get used to recovering from wheelspin...

A good launch goes a LONG way towards a good race. a .5 a second made at the start is a hell of a lot harder to make up with HP at the far end of the track!

hyundai jvx 07-16-2001 04:32 PM

Don't forget to take out that thing behind the backseats that doesn't let people see in the hatch. You know what I'm talking about?

Anyways, good luck and take pics man!

Dopeskills 07-17-2001 12:33 AM

what about tires? is replacing the michelins with a certain type of tire considered a "mod" ?

just wondering...

IX_XI 07-18-2001 12:58 AM

All Right! K&N a definate ( surely they won't consider that a power-adder), I even have access to some dry ice!
I'm still aweful 'afraid' of some new eclipse or something. Actually I'm hoping I'll get out there beside some kid w/ a 5 speed that can't drive the thing. Maybe an overanxious guy w/ a really heavy, red-lighting foot. That'd do!
Sure would be nice to bring home a trophy for the crooked H.

IX_XI 07-18-2001 01:00 AM

Oh yeah, and.. radial tires only.

Lantra98 07-18-2001 02:33 AM

Open a BIG Can of Whupp Azz!!!
VRRoooMMMM!!! :D

Good Luck!!! smile.gif

Random 07-18-2001 02:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by IX_XI:
Oh yeah, and.. radial tires only.</div>

Do you really know anyone who still drives on Bias-Ply tires in this day and age? Hell, can you even BUY Bias Ply tires anymore....