General Performance & Hyundai Chat If you can't figure out which performance/modifications catagory to put your post in, then put it here. Also use this are to discuss general things about your Hyundai.

Got myself invited to a heads-up race

Old 07-18-2001, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I even have access to some dry ice!

That would be a BAD THING if you put it in your airbox! the fumes from the dry ice would be displacing oxygen in the intake tract/combustion chamber. Stick with regular ice on the inside.

On the outside of the airbox...use whatever you want. Hell. Tubes of Liquid nitrogen sound good!
Old 07-18-2001, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To keep the engine a little cooler, turn the heat in the car all the way up to all red BUT DO NOT TURN IT ON!!!! The heat will be swept from the engine compartment quicker without adding to the drag on your belt.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

hahaha Buy bias ply? Yes you can! Here in Arkansas anyway.
I got to thinking about the dry ice thing IN the box. Bad idea agreed. Thing is it's gonna be 90 something degrees w/ 100% humidity even @ 9:00 pm. It's gonna be hard to keep ice for any amount of time. I'm willing to do anything though!
Ran a Mitsu. Turbo last night. Faired pretty well. Got my confidence up on this no power-adder thing.
Thanks for the tips guys!! wink.gif
Old 07-19-2001, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Forgot to ask:::
About launching this 4 cyl, auto..
Say your @ the tree.. do you 1.have 1 foot on the brake, 1 on gas ,rev the motor till green release brake, 2.have the car in neutral, rev the car, wait till green, put 'er in gear, 3. or just have your foot on the brake, wait for green n move your foot to the gas?
I'm not sure I'm going to get enough time trials to try this out. I've apparently never had to deal w/ an auto. hahaha What about this button for O/D off? I'm running 1000 ft, not 1/4 mile. From what I know, I'm just gonna let the car shift itself, and leave the O/D button alone.
Whata You think?
Old 07-19-2001, 01:37 AM

This is what i would do... cause i do it myself

Keep the O/D button ON. This actually changes the shift points. You'll "power shift" automatically (your engine will rev higher and shift at higher revs).

At the tree, when you've staged, keep your left foot on the brake and your right on the gas. Put it into 2nd gear, keep the gas on, revving the engine while holding the car still w/the brake & left foot. (You can pretty much hold the gas pedal down about half way, your rev limiter will keep you from blowing your engine.)

When the last yellow light lights up, release your break and stomp your gas!! But don't get too jumpy. You have about 0.5 seconds between the lighting of the last yellow and the lighting of the green. Most people's reaction times fall a little over .5", so you should be safe punching it right after the last yellow light comes on.

good luck mate
Old 07-19-2001, 02:25 AM

2.have the car in neutral, rev the car, wait till green, put 'er in gear
OUCH! Don't neutral drop!

Put it into 2nd gear

Hmmm....you sure about that? Second gear gave me lower times...I was running in the 18's trying to launch out of drive 2. It seems to bog down more. BTW, my R/T on that run was .899.

Don't forget about this trick:
Automatic Transmission Tip: If you have power brakes, once you’ve staged, put the transmission in neutral and press HARD on the brake pedal. Rev the engine once, and quickly get off the throttle. The idea is to ‘snap’ the throttle plate shut. This will cause a manifold vacuum spike and you’ll feel the brake pedal sink further to the floor. This greatly increases the holding power of the brakes, and will allow you to rev the engine up higher against the torque converter and give you a harder launch. Just don’t forget to put the transmission back in gear!
Old 07-19-2001, 03:24 AM

Actually, i'm gonna mess around with that a little.

My car manual says:

Second Gear: Select drive range 2 for more power when climbing hills, for engine braking when driving down steep hills, and for starting on slipery surfaces.

Power Mode: For powwerful acceleration or driving up long slopes. The transaxle will shift at higher engine revolutions, allowing more powerful acceleration when passing or climbing.

Maybe leav it in regular drive, but it works for me
Old 07-19-2001, 04:14 AM

Hmm...whats power mode? Like I said...drive 2 (since it is for climbing hills, etc...) really seems to bog down....but to all his own!
Old 07-19-2001, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by JGraham9382:
Hmm...whats power mode? Like I said...drive 2 (since it is for climbing hills, etc...) really seems to bog down....but to all his own!

They want you to drop it from DRIVE to 2 when climbing hills...not START from 2

And yes, you do start from 2 on slippery surfaces...because it doesn't have the power/torque to spin the wheels...but ONLY on slippery surfaces...

NEVER NEUTURAL DROP. VERY VERY VERY bad for your tranny.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:43 AM

please dont do a neutral drop. ****, get some NOS and cheat..lol.