Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Headwork, Gains?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

272 stage 2 camshafts from www.rpw.com.au
Available straight off the shelf.
I'm not sure about the performance gains without a turbo.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Back again guys.

I e-mailed RPW and he said it would be around 1100 bucks, so if I do get cams, I will go for the ones from Kspec so I can support them and show appreciation for all of the help they have given me.

It has been a few weeks and I purchased that sub, so now I am getting some more money that I can use for this headwork. Any info. on the value of the oversized valves? I will definately be getting at least better (dual) springs from Ferrea. I would also like to get cams.

I need to get my mind made up on what I want to do with this car so I can tell them and they will know how much to port the head.

I would probably end up going for the 282's from kspec on the cams, would they make ANY power below 4000?

I will also be needing an e6k haltech standalone, anyone here have any experience with it or know where I could get one for cheap?

I am about to say f-it and go all out turbo, get-em to port the hell out of it and just get a loan or something and slap 10 g's into the tib, lol. I might do it though.

Thanks again for any help on the subject. wink1.gif
Old 03-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Bump, can anybody help me out with the above questions?

Are oversized valves really worth the money?

And is there anywhere I can source some cams for under $1000?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:10 PM

QUOTE (tdonnell @ Mar 2 2006, 01:49 AM)
Back again guys.

I would probably end up going for the 282's from kspec on the cams, would they make ANY power below 4000?

Well, I have 268's, and they dont really make any decent power until exactly 4k, unless youre in the right gear it will be laggy.

Also, they will pull to well beyond the rev limiter, at least to 7000.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

Porting your head won't give you any noticable HP gains until you get up there with the mods. I'm saying if you have I/H/E, you'll see about 1whp IF your lucky. Porting your head is only supplemental to making power. It will only make it easier to make more power once you start throwing on cams/pistons.

NA hi-cams and turbo hi-cams are VERY different so make sure you get the correct ones for your car. If you need any help, PM me.

Cams are extremely tricky to tune correctly and if you do it wrong, you could actually LOSE power. For example: a set of 272 cams with stock pistons can get you around 15whp. +5-10 if you add pistons. A set of 282 cams will only get you about 10whp on stock pistons, but if you add hi-comp pistons you can gain up to 40whp with ECU tuning.

Check out the ecu-cams topic that I started.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 AM

Could you give me a brief description of the difference between a turbo cam and an NA cam?

Are you serious about the 1 hp statement, because I know quite a few people who have benefited a great deal (probably 10 whp - not 100% sure but there were noticable gains) power wise from a P&P head. Is it just the beta's design or what?

What type of standalone should I get to run all of this, or could I do it with a piggyback (I have an SAFC and a wideband with datalogging, but I seriously doubt that would unlock the full potential of the cams).

Thanks for the posts guys, and what type of car do you have the 268's in sdashia? If it is a beta, where did you get the cams?

Thanks again. cool.gif
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

tdonnell-

I'm serious about the minimal gain with porting, but keep in mind we're talking NA right now. Turbocharged setups benefit more. I sent you a PM explaining in more detail.

Check out my turbo ecu topic
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 AM

Hello again,

Figured I would try to start this topic back up again since I now have the SR 268 degree cams.

I am thinking about getting the headwork done soon, and have a few q's about airbornes ecu re-flash that I am also considering.

I would really like to take the IM to the machine shop with the head and the phenolic spacers and tell them to port-match all of it, especially since the ports of the airram are smaller than the ones of the head.

What kind of gains would I see from a P&P now? And would it be worth it to remove the airram and get it port matched? I think I will get the head cylinder head shaved a bit to raise compression a couple tenths.

Would it be safe to redline at around 7500-7800? I would of course get stiffer valve springs if I went that far, but I am wondering if the bottom end could take it? Airborne always says 7200, but if it is safe and I will make more power I would like to go just a bit higher, that would help a lot by keeping me in the higher power range after a shift.

Would it be worth my while to go ahead and get the polished 1mm oversized valves while I am at it?

How much could I gain from the ECU re-flash? I already felt a pretty damn good gain with just the safc, but I bet these cams don't make their peak power until they are around 7.5k so... Also the timing would probably help a lot too. I know with a 270 intake cam and 256 exhaust the gain was 40 hp (according to airbornes thread), and there is no way I gained that much now, so I figure I can probably double the gain I already got by getting the flash?? Yes, no?

Thanks in advance for any input/help, and please reply, I am trying to make the tib a beast to help represent our name.

Its funny because nobody knows it is quick, they all probably think it runs 17's when it would really run 14's, lol.

Thanks again everyone. cool.gif
Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if i remember correctly the betas stroke will only allow to safely rev to about 7300 anything higher and youll have a motor that will last ya a few thousand miles...

now if you get some custom rods and high comp pistons you might be able to rev higher...
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 AM

Mmmm, ok, guess I'll wanna go for the 7200 redline after all. Thanks faith.

What about the headwork gains now that I have hi cams?