DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY clutch installation

Old 05-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alex01tib @ May 15 2006, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Nevermind i didnt know the release bearing didnt have to be removed before the pressure plate could be removed. Brain to the rescue again.</div>
Huh? You don't need to take off the TOB to get the pressure plate off the flywheel. There are like 3-4 dowls that hold the plate on the flywheel after you get the bolts off. They are more like guides.
The TOB can stay on the plate the whole time. But it needs to come off and put back on the tranny side when reinstalling it.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

/\ Thats what i was saying, the old pressure plate is off right now and it still has the old throwout bearing on it.

The problem im having now (yes im still working on this) is that i cannot get the throwout bearing on to the pressure plate using the release arm to push it onto the pressure plate while everything is mounted, pulling the arm in the opposite direction of where the arm moves when you push the clutch down. (pressure plate bolted on, throwout bearing on the fork, tranny bolted back on)

Brian said you can snap it on with your hand, i could not. I tried like a motha and then resorted to prying. No dice. The most i can get is it partially attached to the pressure plate. Which means the arm does not return fully to the released location it should be when your foot is off the pedal. Pushing the clutch pedal moves the arm but barely. And the pedal stops about half way. I put something in between the release arm and the hydrolic link to make the arm longer and it pushes the release arm further, and you can see the clutch releasing somewhat, but not enough to disengage the clutch. Im stuck, i thought perhaps they sent me the wrong throwout bearing and ill simply go get a new one, but im making some phone calls to the people who sold me the clutch first, (gripforce clutches, the vendor, and valeo, the manufacturer)

*I just called Valeo and he said the pressure plate and the throwout bearing should snap together real easily, seeing has i couldnt force them together while they were off the car it must be either the throwout bearing or the pressure plate, hopefully its the throwoutbearing or else ill have to find another stage three pressure plate. Im going to the dealer right now to get a new bearing.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 AM

Are you sure the tranny is on and fully aligned. I've only had to pry it once and it was with very little force. Most of the time was with my hand.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:17 PM

LOL u saw my WTB thread jon, i saw u looking in it. I said in it that its the center of the pressure plate that was damaged. The problem is that the center of the pressure plate moves, so when you try to push the throwout bearing against the center, it moves away from the throwout bearing. I either need a new PP or i just need to figure out how to stop it from moving.

And yah the tranny is fully on, wheels and everything spin fine.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:35 PM

I saw the "WTB a pressure plate" part. Didn't care about the other stuff.

I thought I had a spare stage 3, but then I remembered that I let a friend try to take the TOB off cause I told him it was difficult to do the first time. He tried and got it off in like 2 minutes. I was like "WTF?????"
Then I looked again and saw that he ripped the ring off the pressure plate along with the TOB. Idiot. lmao.gif
Old 05-26-2006, 11:59 AM

I am going to put a racing clutch in my car next month shall i take pics of how i am doing it ? (tib gen1)
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 PM

I got it, i think the one time i actually got the throwout bearing to work right i had the clutch in backward or something, because i put it all back together and it worked fine, thanks for everybodys help though
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Links are broken, PLZ somebody fix them as I really need the info. Or if anyone has one that I can get e-mailed???
Old 12-20-2006, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Same, The links are all Broken. I would appreciate an email as well. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

i dont think anyone will ever repair those links, lol.. pm me with any info you need, i just changed my clutch, so its fresh in my mind.