Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

I'm back, with a new Coupe

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: F2 Evolution

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
If you want to get technical about it, bust out a home made manometer and start checking for pressure drops/voids within the intake tract. Some of the stock stuff flows surprisingly well.

Remember one of the Uk owners looked into getting a head ported and polished by a pro, the pro came back commenting the current head was surprisingly good as stock. I know of one other in the Uk who went and ported his head, and whilst he got some impressive numbers on a dyno (186bhp NA), it looses way to much low/mid range to be any use on the road.

On a different note, I've already got the f2 Evos first track ession booked for August. Only a 20 minute run at Snetterton, but it'll give me an idea of what needs sorting before a big trackday.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Great to have you back here. Remember you from the RDTiburon days also saw you on UKHCC. Great to see you back to RD1. There are less and less of us around as many have change it for a GK or GC. I am alo still sporting my RD1 but planning on getting a GC also. Although, when I do get GC I will still keep RD1. Keep coming with the good news. ;-)
Old 06-16-2012, 03:07 PM

I don't remember being on RDtiburon. May have registered though.

Not allowed on UKHCC anymore- I tend to say what I think, and don't bother putting it politely and/or politically, and it upset alot of people on there- especially those who weren't English when I unpolitely told them what most of us think of those who take advantage of Uks far too soft immigration + financial handout system!

Still on the other UK site though, UKHCF.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Spent a full 2 1/2 days working on her,

New boots, some OEM F2 Evo wheels- much lighter than normal RD wheels, only 14kg per corner with tyres on. OEM V6 wheels are 20.7kg per corner.

Speaking of weights, the wheel nuts on the Evo were 75grams each, my old GKs wheelnuts were 25g. Not a huge difference, but as I had them already, I used the Gen3 nuts on the Evo.

Braided hoses fitted, fluid drained and replaced with dot5.1 fluid. Now stops like a brand new car.

Under the bonnet, I already had stripped a out GK airbox fitted (and the 1.8 cam obviously). Now have OBX 4-2-1 Headers, magnaflow 300 cell cat, front strut bar and a catch can. On top of this, a good service, TB cleaned out, new oil + filters, new plugs and leads.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I'm loving this build man. I bet each of those things made a huge difference in how the car drives. Just... keep at it dude.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000/tiburon

beautiful car i love the f2 evo
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Very nice!!

Very nice!!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Take off the resonators and throw them in the trash. They only help noise reduction until somebody shows me a dyno sheet.

Whip out your dremel tool and cut a couple of large holes on the bottom of the air filter box. Cut out the ridges inside. Slap it back on. It sounds much more like a car than it did before.

Warm air: good for fuel economy. Cold air: good for power. Less restricted inlet path: good for both.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM

Drilling holes in the airbox will have same effect as putting a warm air intake cone filter on. The gen3/gk airbox much better design than gen1/rd. I'm planning a scoop of some sort to feed some air from the front to help it. Overall however i been surprised withthe result of the airbox. No dyno proof, but tried induction kit as well, this gk airbox setup feels better.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM

2 things to report, one good, one bad. The air scoop idea will be harder than planned, F2 Evos have uprated Cobra alarms as standard, fitted by MSD after they arrived in UK. My keyfob was destroyed, no way to lock car, or get past alarm- with the Evos Cobra, unlocking but not starting within 60 seconds locks the ignition so you can't start car. Hyundai can't and won't help sort alarm as it's not their onw- it's a proper one (sorry, much as I love the cars, the electrics could have been done better by a colour blind orang utang with attion deficit disorder). MSD have the details to re-program, but they went bust 6 years ago! Luckily Cobra stepped in, and are re-programming free of charge.

To cap it all off, the location of the alarm on the evo is in front of the fusebox, next to the battery (look at pics a couple posts above for clarifacation- I know LHD and RHD have different bay layouts). This leaves no rtoom for a scoop, unless I move the battery 4" or so inwards, which requires strengthening of the tray, which would add weight. Now the dilemma, will the extra couple bhp be worth the extra weight gained by the strengthened battery tray?

The other thing I found out yesterday, GK 2.0 airboxes are same as V6s, so if that airbox can flow enough for the V6, it's going to have more than enough capabilities for a NA tuned 2.0.

On a different note, as of January this year I needed a family car, so I now have this as my "sensible" family car. Unlike the Coupe, I'm not allowed to tune it. Hand built 2.2 Vtec, still got 204bhp (dyno'd shortly after purchase), recaro seats, same weight as a GK Tib, Torsen LSD. Other than a catback and front strutbrace, I've not found the need to tune it much. It is however a target, make the Evo equal to this. Despite the differing performance reputations of Coupes and Type-Rs, theres not as big of a gap as you'd expect.