Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

my new fuel pump

Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Elantra
Default my new fuel pump

i just got the qwalbro 255lph pump, what happens if i install it without boost? is it safe?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Totally safe, if you have a way to regulate the fuel pressure.... No body said you cant, but with a stock regulator your going to run the chance of locking up your injectors, and you WILL run super rich if your running the stock regulator, it will get not be able to hold the pressure!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

I run a 255lhp hp inline with the stock regulator no problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM

You are also boosted and wanting to run rich^^^^^^^^^^ More than likely you got aftermarket injectors also!!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 PM

uhh I don't want it to idle rich, it ran with stock and beta injectors/maf fine under boost or not, the car ran in closed loop (o2 sensor plugged in) to pass smog-didn't through any codes.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:35 PM

^^^ well thats awesome, so steelcoffin did it, and it worked out perfect, so just toss it in, takes 20 minutes maybe if you know what your doing!

the report to us and tell us how it is going and how your gas milage is, and how it smells lol!!!

OKAY avanteKing, Under a more serious manner, You may install the pump at your will, but Im my opinon do not install it untill your able to control the flow, or you WILL run rich. Also run risk of locking injectors.

You can run it with out boost, or boost. There is no diffrenece, just have to adjust flow with a FPR. With out a regulator you will probably be running about 60psi or so on fuel pressure, something rediculous that you cars ECU will simply not be able to adjust it pulse width to make run right. Yet, you can do it like Steelcoffin, and run it with a stock regulator, yes there car is still going to run and drive, just smell funny, and kill your catalytic convertor if you have one, and make your gas mileage garbage.

All and all, you believe who you want to believe and do as you wish!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Elantra

im gunna order a rising rate regulator aremotive, i will do it correctly the first time, thanks man, u always have good answers for me
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM

RRFPR KIT

this is what i have, this is made by a local member, TurboSocks!

you can have this kit painted any color you want, choose your type of hose and couplers... it is simply awesome, and arrives plug and play basically.

Here is a special thread for it!!!!

FPR KIT LINK
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Turboron_99
^^^ well thats awesome, so steelcoffin did it, and it worked out perfect, so just toss it in, takes 20 minutes maybe if you know what your doing!

the report to us and tell us how it is going and how your gas milage is, and how it smells lol!!!

OKAY avanteKing, Under a more serious manner, You may install the pump at your will, but Im my opinon do not install it untill your able to control the flow, or you WILL run rich. Also run risk of locking injectors.

You can run it with out boost, or boost. There is no diffrenece, just have to adjust flow with a FPR. With out a regulator you will probably be running about 60psi or so on fuel pressure, something rediculous that you cars ECU will simply not be able to adjust it pulse width to make run right. Yet, you can do it like Steelcoffin, and run it with a stock regulator, yes there car is still going to run and drive, just smell funny, and kill your catalytic convertor if you have one, and make your gas mileage garbage.

All and all, you believe who you want to believe and do as you wish!!!
The stock ecu/fuel pressure regulator CAN compensate for the extra fuel flow, the ecu runs in closed loop and DOESN'T THROW ANY CEL (LIKE FUEL TRIM RICH), IT DOESN'T RUN RICHER-not that that you shouldn't get an adjustable fpr but you don't need one.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Steelcoffin, the Stock Regulator, and stock ecu CAN NOT manage a 255 fuel pump by them selves, the can will run yes, but with out some kind of AEM FIC or way to manipulate the Pulse Width, it will run your right about that, but you AFR will be way off. I garuntee it! You need a FPR to control the pressure to keep from running rich at idle, and to get a good steady base pressure. If you compare someones AFR beofore you install the pump to it after, i promise it will be much richer. Yes the Ecu will relearn some, and help a little, but it wont be able to correct itself that much. I have been there, I ran a 255 with the stock regulator, and 440's it was horrible, yes it ran, yes according to my wideband it was rich as f*ck. Also even with Aem Fic to control fuel, it was still off case base pressure was so much then add boost, then more fuel, it was alsmost impossible to tune, but you make your own choices. I made mine, And my setup works and rips!