Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Project F8

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Good questions!

I have not done the flow calculations for the air side of the core, but it is sized larger than the supercharger discharge port.

I should run the numbers to be certain, but my thought is that it'll all work out in the end.

The end tanks are going to be 0.5" thick and mount to the plate the core is being welded to, with the water passages going through the upper supercharger mount plate to a bank of 0.5" fittings at the edges. I'll have to do a render and post it so everyone understands how the water passages are being dealt with.

Suffice it to say, the tanks shouldn't pose much of a flow restrictiin to either water or air.

Once the rough stair-steps on the casting are smoothed out the flow to 1 and 4 should be about the same as the middle two. I'll check with a shop vac and manometer to be certain once everything is finished.

The intercooler is sized as large as possible for the space it has to fit into, I've hit physical constraints on length/width/depth.

The delta-T at the supercharger operating point is 150°F, so at ambient of 65°F my IAT would be 215°F, which isn't that good in my opinion, so the intercooler should at least be able to drop it lower than that.

I'll have to run the actual numbers and get back to you on this, I should have done it from the start...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

I'm drooling with envy, wishing my fabricator went down this route....

I'm guessing your wanting to to engage and disengage drive to the supercharger ? Toyota used an electro-magnetic clutch mechanism (much like an air-con compressor clutch)on the SC12/SC14.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Yeah, the plan is to clutch it so that I can do away with the bypass valving that's normally needed.

A possible nice side effect is that at cruise or around town I could drop to NA and not have the horsepower drain, but that would require a bypass valve anyways...

It's eventually going to be part of a twincharge setup, with a nice fat turbo thrown in the mix for high end OOMPH.

That manifold looks sexy as hell, but what I'm really looking for some insight into is the bracket that holds the idlers, and the possible part numbers of the idlers if they are off anotger vehicle...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:03 AM

The new AUDM grab handle...

Not much to see really, I didn't take any pics along the way...

New head off a non-CVVT 2003 Elantra Beta II, prepared for spray tanking.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Originally Posted by 300D50
Yeah, the plan is to clutch it so that I can do away with the bypass valving that's normally needed.

A possible nice side effect is that at cruise or around town I could drop to NA and not have the horsepower drain, but that would require a bypass valve anyways...

It's eventually going to be part of a twincharge setup, with a nice fat turbo thrown in the mix for high end OOMPH.

That manifold looks sexy as hell, but what I'm really looking for some insight into is the bracket that holds the idlers, and the possible part numbers of the idlers if they are off anotger vehicle...

The bracket is custom made and the idlers are timing belt idlers of what i can remember is from our holden v6 ? so chev,

hope this helps

Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 AM

AHA!

Mystery solved, they bolted it to the engine mount and the upper AC compressor bolt!

That was boggling my mind since I first saw your bay pics on Hyper...

The holden tbelt idler is a good thing to know, I'll try to scare up some leads on the chevy version of it.

Worst case, I use Hyundai idlers.

Since I have a jackshaft to deal with, I'm going to be making my bracket fit between the AC comp and block and use all 4 bolts. Now that I realize the engine mount can be used, I can add that in as well...

Have you had any belt slip issues?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Well, ours was a RWD version of the 3800 found in the GM W-body, but I don't see why the timing belt tensioners would be different. XGODZX and I shall team up and obtain part numbers for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 AM

Oh god. 3800...

Fitting I'll likely be using idlers from one, as the rotor pack going in the supercharger is from a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Hey, at least there will be plenty of broken cars to choose parts from?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 AM

It's more of an "Oh god, that's so damn common..."