Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

My Custom Exhaust

Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I want to know what would be best, underaxel or over axel.

Ok, I've read these articles
zoned019 http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=24043
Malik112099 http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=10382

I also compared price vs. performance and I also applied a bit of name-brandism.

I've decided to go with 2.25" piping all the way to the rear, a Dynomax Thrush 30" glasspack in place of my resinator, and a flowmaster super 40 muffler I think I've made good choices so far. I believe my exhaust should be quiet, deep and maintain enough backpressure to be a good exhaust system.

Only one thing remains, how to place the custom piping. I have looked at some custom installs of underaxel designs. There appears to be very little clearance. I had my vehicle up on a lift today and the wheel dropped way down. It made me wonder if this design would work or if it would rub when the car is on a lift.

Underaxel pic from RED ZMAN's install: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/RED...1/IMAGE_076.jpg

What I'm really wondering is if I should go with an underaxel or an overaxel. It seems kinda rash and dramatic as well as slightly more powerful to go with an underaxel design. The exhaust becomes lowered which means less ground or curb clearance. The exhaust is also right under the a-arm which could cause damage to it, and it would involve removing the exhaust if I wanted to change the right rear strut. The car was designed to use an overaxel exhaust, it's the obvious choice. Do the benefeits of an underaxel exhaust which eliminate aproximately 180 degrees of turns outweigh the risks?

The question is conservative overaxel or free flowing underaxel exhaust? Also, if anyone has any recommendations for a muffler tip, it would be helpful.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if an underaxle exhaust is done right, you would NEVER have to remove it to do the right rear strut.

it basically comes down to, are you worried about scraping it or not?

you could add a few extra small bends to an under axle, while still GREATLY improving the flow over the overaxle style, and never have to worry it scraping or being in the way under normal driving conditions/roads.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM
DTN

Have you seen the wheel fully down? It looks like it would take out RED ZMAN's exhaust. I had my car up on a lift today for 45 minutes just planning it, to see if it would work. I think it would have to be about an inch lower then ZMAN's in that picture. 1 inch under the car is alot considering I have about 4 inches of clearance.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

i had the ass end of my car in the air many times when i had my under axle exhaust.. so yes, you would be able to do the strut swap, if you ever had to, with exhaust on car.

and you can design it a numerous amount of ways, mine was much different then REDZ
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
DTN

post pics please?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Banned

mine wasn't the greatest of examples, the angle was a bit off causing it to hang a bit low. but then again, i paid 250$ shipped for an entire mandrel bent exhaust from the turbo to the muffler.

illl look for pics when i get home
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM
DTN

That goes for anyone. I'd like to see underaxel exhaust pics for reference for my exhust welder.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM

i think i have a few at home. ill send you one then. my exhaust guy had the wheels all the way down and my exhaust goes right around it. ill be home in about 2 hours.

oh and if the rd2 heat shield is the same length as mine, im almost sure than a 30" glass pack will NOT fit with a standard 10-12" cat. i have an 18" with about 4-6" before the axle bend.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
DTN

I've already mock-fit it up there. It works fine.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM

cool, just lookin out.