Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

My Custom Exhaust

Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes fing02.gif , post up a vid of just reving, not driving around for half the vid, wtf was that van following you?

(By reving, I just mean a few revs and steady at some different levels of rpms.)
Im not saying all people, but alot of people dont know how to make a freaking exhaust vid.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

You know what they say about people arguing on the internet? Yeah...

Anyways, DTN, why don't you pick up the 10" resonator (its 14" total length) and fit it in?

It should be a pretty damn simple install job, probably $40. You can see if that quiets it enough or that you have to get a new muffler.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Actually, I think the interior noise really threw off my perception of how loud it really is. I had Benz01GS drive my car, him and my brother are the only two people who I allow to drive it, and it really wasn't that bad. I don't know if I really need a resonator.

i'm extending the muffler pipe into the tip on Monday to get rid of the extra noise from my exhaust pipe. Also, I'm having the exhaust lowered 1/2 inch to get it off of the bumper cover. I'm hoping that will remove some more of the interior noise.

Here's an exhaust video. Remember, about the only thing you're hearing without a subwoofer is the sound of the exhaust hitting the rolled muffler tip and my cold air intake. The exhaust sound is very low without the muffler tip. I'm sure extending the muffler pipe into the tip will remove the raspyness you hear in this video.

Jorge, take a look at the other videos. I took 3, they have all that you asked for.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:14 AM

LOL, Thats how you drive! I like that video. fing02.gif
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

No, the wavelength most certainly IS dependent on the length of the pipe.

It is different for a pipe open on both ends, closed on both ends, and open on one end.

You need to take a physics refresher course or something..

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to one another. This is how musical instruments work, like a trombone. You adjust the length to get different frequencies and wavelengths.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:37 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ May 22 2008, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wow 5 pages of internet geeking just to get to the point that if you want a quiet exhaust use resonators......</div>

lol Im with Optimo here...
Old 05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ May 25 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No, the wavelength most certainly IS dependent on the length of the pipe.

It is different for a pipe open on both ends, closed on both ends, and open on one end.

You need to take a physics refresher course or something..

Wavelength and frequency are inversely proportional to one another. This is how musical instruments work, like a trombone. You adjust the length to get different frequencies and wavelengths.</div>

Would you quit? I'm not doing calculations to modify 5,000 RPM. 5,000 RPM is fixed and not adjustable by the length of the tube, therefore the tube must be tuned to 5,000 RPM.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

What are you talking about, to modify 5000 RPM?

The wavelength of a sound wave coming out of a tube is dependent on the lenth of the tube.

As I said before, compare it to a musical instrument. In this example, your "unmodifiable 5000 RPM" would be like a person blowing into the instrument. Okay, so the person is blowing at a constant rate (5000 RPM). If you change the length of the tube, THE WAVELENGTH AND FREQUENCY STILL CHANGE, even though the "blow" (5000 RPM) is still CONSTANT. Get it?

Every single one of your equations is wrong, and proves nothing.

This is just like in the last physics debate we had, when you did not know that decreasing the radius of a tube will increase the velocity of a gas flowing through it. I would call that common sense, not even physics.

I am reciting things from the physics class I took my freshmen year; you don't even seem to understand those concepts. Quit acting like you understand things and posting useless equations which do nothing but confuse other people. You are misinformed, and are misinforming others.

Even after I prove things to you you argue and still think that you are right...

I am done, this is stupid. I'm getting pissed off unnecessarily. You should go read a book, then when you come back maybe some of the things you say will actually make sense.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM
DTN

We never had that debate. That is not in question. I know all about relativity of pressure and flow. You're simply trying to flex your cyber-nuts. If you want to help, then help me solve this problem.

The exhaust pulses moving through the header per minute are not going to change because we are tuning for 5,000 RPM (tiburon's power band). The resonation chamber is the only tube length we are dealing with. The header is to be considered free flowing.

1/2 wavelength is the lowest resonating frequency of a resonator. At 1/2 wavelenght, the resonance will assist the pulse. Again, at 1x, 2x, and 4x the frequency, but not as greatly.

The delema here is we have 10,000 exhaust pulses to deal with which are moving roughly at the speed of sound through a tube of 2.25" diameter in one minute. They are to be pushed into a resonation chamber. The resonation chamber, when at resonance, will help the exhaust flow more efficiently. If the wavelength can be found then the resonance frequency can be found, then a proper resonation chamber can be selected.

Or if you want to get more scientiffic with the exhaust flow in litres per minute could be calculated by using the expansion factor calculation of gasoline at 70 degrees 1atm, stoichometeric ratios, and assume a lamnar even burn with a perfect curve of the pulse, RPM = 1 litre per rotation, and size of the pipe = 2.25". I don't know how to do that calculation, so speed of sound at 5,000 RPM at the tip of the flexpipe works for me. Next pipe will be a resonator, there's 16" to work with between flexpipe and glasspack.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

So, let's get this all straight DTN.

1. You want advise on vinyl on your car. You get it, and basically redo what you already had on, ignoring the majority of the advise you received.

2. You want advise on your engine bay and the wire loom. Everyone tells you to take the muppet guts out of your engine and you promptly ignore it and continue on with the blue spaghetti.

3. You want a good performance exahust. You get good advise and promptly ignore it.

4. You are now arguing, for pages now, about TUNING your exhaust tone, all worried about measurments and dimensions, but you went with a crush bent exhaust that will change everything. ALL of this, AFTER your exhaust is already on?

I just wanna make sure I'm right here. As I thought we'd had this discussion before about you asking for advise, then promptly ignoring it.

Regardless, this thread has gotten silly, gone on way to long, and is going nowhere fast.

Closed.