Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Crappy MPG on Tiburon

Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ
Default Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

I know there are a few of us, and I want to find out WHY!

I was watching the Air Ram & BBTB feedback thread, and people were complaining about dropping from 30+ MPG down to 28MPG.

I just want to let all of you know that I never get more than 24MPG! I stay strictly between 20-23 MPG no matter how I drive. I can't seem to get any better than this. It's been like this the entire time I've owned my car. I've made several trips back and forth to school (170miles) in the past, all interstate, and it doesn't change. ONE TIME I have been able to get 30MPG, but that was when I followed my parents in their Expedition the entire way (blocked the wind) and I was empty, no passengers and no luggage. This is the only time I've ever been moderately close to the average Tiburon's gas mileage.

Can somebody please help me to explain WHY this is? I'm not incredibly above or below sea level. I'm actually a little below sea level where I live now (I think) and when I was going to school, I was at the base of the Appalachian Mountains. How can there be such a huge difference in gas? If I were able to make 10MPG more... that would save SOOO much money in a year! That's getting an extra 100 miles out of every tank before filling up! I usually have to fill up after 240 miles, and I usually put about 11.5 - 12.5 gallons in.

Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this? PLEASE post your normal gas mileage here, along with your location!

21-23 very consistently. Nashville, TN
Old 08-30-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Sanding door and dash

I get 20-25mpg city, 30+mpg highway and I normally go 70-90mph in the freeway, not exactly gas-conserving speeds. When I tried 87 octane for a while, I got horrible gas mileage. That's with mostly stock, only removed resonators and coolant bypass mods (intake and headers in the mail laugh.gif ) Over a full tank I normally get around 25-28mpg.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:50 PM

I am completely stock and have always gotten about 30-35 mpg.
I live in NY and put in a lot of road time (i love to travel). In recent days
those numbers have changed a lil (still stock), i think its the gas. I have
always used premium gas(mobie, bp, hess), it seems like the quality
has dropped drastically.

i'll check mine the next time i fill up, but i'm usually 30-33 mpg
Old 08-30-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Crappy MPG on Tiburon

I get 23 mpg consistently, and about 30 on the highway, but sometimes that can be lower. I use 87 octane gas. I tried switching to 93 for a while, but saw no improvement.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:02 PM

I get 20-24... it sux 02.gif
Old 08-30-2004, 02:03 PM

Hrmm.. Im getting the same as you majik.. And personally, I think some people honestly dont know what they get.. Our cars are rated @ about what we are getting majik.. I know when I drive LONG trips (use entire tank w/out stopping @ constant 80 mph) I get about 28 - 29 MPG.. I think this 30 MPG in town is bullshit..

Id like to hear what people are getting to a tank.. Maybe people dont know math?

I usually get around 290 miles on a tank and I fill up 13 gallons usually @ that point, giving me around 22 MPG..

Edit* I just filled up @ 290 miles.. Filled 12 gallons, which is 24 MPG.. Wife drove the car for probably 200 of those miles, so I know my driving drops it a couple MPG..
Old 08-30-2004, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default Re: Changing Spark Plugs

Majik, you forgot about the MPG's on stick vs. auto.

here's what i think. my friend has a v8 BMW. it gets the same exact mileage as my car.

for a 4cylinder, it sould have at least matched up to an RSX (no favor) which would be 35 city and 38 hwy...

so in fact, our gas mileage is good. just not good enough for its power.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

majik dont you have auto? if you do then you are fine smile.gif

i get about 25mpg city some highway, and a lil over 30 mostly highway smile.gif
Old 08-30-2004, 02:23 PM

I get around 500 + KM with a full tank Not sure how that adds up tongue.gif .. But i know there is a difference between HIgh grade and low grade ..
Old 08-30-2004, 02:24 PM

I have been getting about 26 mpg. When I first bought the car, I saw 30+. I use 93 octane and have a muffler and the resinator removed. I think the drop may be because I removed my resinator. I drive down some dirty roads and I have not checked the air filter lately.