Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Crappy MPG on Tiburon

Old 08-30-2004, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: My new Headlight side project.

it is 14.5 gallons... but i DARE you to get that at the pump. I've never gotten more than 13. 12.75 is probably the most....

The extra gallon, i'm assuming, is in the fuel lines and the filter and stuff like that...
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Crappy MPG on Tiburon

yea ive driven about 20 miles with my gas light on before, and i still had some left over, of course i didnt fill all the way up next time, ill just take my 5
Old 08-30-2004, 07:10 PM

when that gas light comes on, i hit the brakes hard to turn it off when it's buggin' me

anyone else do that? haha tongue.gif
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

it's because it's a floating levels thingie... like in my dad's Sebring, the gas light will come on sometimes if it's sitting on a hill (nose pointing downward) because the gas in the tank is liquid, and whatever the vehicle uses to measure the amount of fuel in the tank must be at the back of the tank, so when it's going downhill, the fuel goes towards the front of the tank, leaving the rear of the tank having less gas.

You get it? If we use a floating bobber type thing, and you hit the brakes real hard, it may submerge the bobber making it think there is more fuel than there really is. It's not 100% accurate.

My friend installed a digital Fuel gauge in his Camaro, and when he would start his car it would show 8-9.5 gallons... then once it idled and took time to adjust, it would go down to 4-5.5 gallons at a resting stance.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus)</div><div class='quotemain'>it is 14.5 gallons... but i DARE you to get that at the pump. I've never gotten more than 13. 12.75 is probably the most....

The extra gallon, i'm assuming, is in the fuel lines and the filter and stuff like that...</div> I could have SWORN it was 13.5 gallons... I'm gonna go look it up
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon
Default Re: My new Headlight side project.

UH-OH!! uh-oh!!! some moderator (who will remain nameless) double posted!!!

oh, and thanks to Webtech, i have your proof right here: 14.5 gallons

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.a...id=12748#_12748

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HMA)</div><div class='quotemain'>Tank capacity -- 55 lit. (14.5 U.S. gal., 12.1 Imp.gal.)</div>
wn:
Old 08-30-2004, 08:00 PM

State-required additives can make a big difference. It seems a lot of you east-coasters get the better mileage, what kind of gasoline additives do you have (or lack thereof)?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Gauge Group Buy GREAT DEAL from Splitfire!! NOW TAKING M

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majiktib)</div><div class='quotemain'>it's because it's a floating levels thingie... like in my dad's Sebring, the gas light will come on sometimes if it's sitting on a hill (nose pointing downward) because the gas in the tank is liquid, and whatever the vehicle uses to measure the amount of fuel in the tank must be at the back of the tank, so when it's going downhill, the fuel goes towards the front of the tank, leaving the rear of the tank having less gas.

You get it? If we use a floating bobber type thing, and you hit the brakes real hard, it may submerge the bobber making it think there is more fuel than there really is. It's not 100% accurate.</div>

well of course. haha

never said i didn't know WHY!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 PM

I once filled my car up 14gals smile.gif overspilled a lil, but still got 14 gals in my tank!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2K Tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus)</div><div class='quotemain'>it is 14.5 gallons... but i DARE you to get that at the pump. I've never gotten more than 13. 12.75 is probably the most....</div>

I put in 13.7 once...that was close enough for me to running out of gas. I was just glad I didn't have to go the extra 30 miles to get gas in order to find out whether I could put in that last gallon.