Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Cone filter not worth a pennie

Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Yep, I have to spend $10 every 25k miles. To date, I haven't owned a car for 25k miles, and I'd have to own the car for 125k miles until I break even on the 'investment' of a cleanable air filter. Not to mention the cost of the oil, that sh*t is expensive yo.

why change? As for stock filters clogging up, a working filter is one that gets clogged. I'd be worried if my filter wasn't getting clogged?

AEM is dryflow, no oil needed. They do get dirty and clogged, and you can clean them though. AEM sells high dollar cleaning stuff, but really just some woolite in a bucket with some water will be fine. If you see that link and the insane abuse and bleach it took and still performed quite well, some woolite and litke agitation cleans it just fine. But you don't have ot wiat until 25k like with OEM, or if you drive in particularly dusty/polleny area, you can clean it every 5k if you want. Though doing that with a OEM would end up quite costly. It isn't like at 25k it goes from great to suck, it slowly degrades over time, it just isn't relaly needed/recommended untill 15k, like when it gets really bad. I like to clean my air filter every time I change my oil, simple quick and don't have to worry about it really.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

SOME of us are closer to 200,000 than 100,000 miles on our cars and intend to keep driving them until we can't. A buy-it-once K&N and clean/oiling it every once in a while eventually does pay off in such a case. Just saying.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

For the record, my '01 Tib picked up 11.7 whp with just an AEM intake. The gains are from the filter and the piping. The car was otherwise 100% bone stock.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

^^^^ Where was the filter situated? In the engine bay or in the fender area? Any pics? Just wondering?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

behind the left driving light.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ That may have also been due to the MAF readings being skewed by the piping change as well.

Since a tib runs rich as a pig out of the box, if you can get the sensor reading a bit lower air flow, you run a bit leaner, and pick up some HP along the way.

I'm sticking with the factory airbox right now, might go to a large-ass pleated paper truck filter + airbox after the head swap (damn lifter tick sounds like a VW diesel...).
Old 04-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

The MAF is in it's own housing, so the calibration didn't change. Most of the gains are from eliminating the restrictive factory intake with it's resonators. This is why a cone filter stuck on the factory intake doesn't gain much power.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I beg to differ, the maf transfer function is always affected by the pipeing before and after it. You can hold "blah cfm" on a maf sensor using a flow bench and get X volts, then change just the piping, hold blah CFM again, and get Y volts. Proven fact.

It's hard to explain why, since it has to do with the laminar vs turbulent flow, and a whole bunch of fluid dynamics crap.

Certainly some of it was decreased restriction, don't get me wrong.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 2008 hyundai accent

Originally Posted by i8acobra
For the record, my '01 Tib picked up 11.7 whp with just an AEM intake. The gains are from the filter and the piping. The car was otherwise 100% bone stock.

yeah i'm just talking about the accent not the tib. also i'm betting it is a v6, so you need more air and the stock box was to small.

Originally Posted by 300D50
^^^ That may have also been due to the MAF readings being skewed by the piping change as well.

Since a tib runs rich as a pig out of the box, if you can get the sensor reading a bit lower air flow, you run a bit leaner, and pick up some HP along the way.

I'm sticking with the factory airbox right now, might go to a large-ass pleated paper truck filter + airbox after the head swap (damn lifter tick sounds like a VW diesel...).

the o8 accent has a map sensor... no maf sensor.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigstrappa
yeah i'm just talking about the accent not the tib. also i'm betting it is a v6, so you need more air and the stock box was to small.

All '01 Tibs are 2.0L Beta1's. Went from 109whp to 121whp.