External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

SR HID's Vs Stocker Lights (LOTS OF PICS!)

Old 01-11-2002, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Random:
IAGO, the HID's will work for any bulb that they have HID kits for. I do NOT think that they have HID's in H3's, so the stock foggies are outta the question, but you could probably get the Hella HID's like I have or the Hella HID Micro's and just mount them behind the front "glass" of the stock foglight. (at least on a gen1 fog light, they are fairly big). You would have to hack the stock foglight apart, and just grab the front lens, the mount the lens in the front of the bumper like normal, and silocone in behind it, then put the HELLA HID light behind that.

Minorly confused by this...it looked like the bulbs mount through the hole you cut through the housing cap, and not by the brackets within the housings for the stock bulbs. Is this the case, or am I mistaken? If this is the case, then what difference would it make about which bulb goes into the foglight housing? If this isn't the case, then nevermind. wink.gif
Old 01-11-2002, 01:04 PM

A few more questions for ya after further review of the pictures.

1) I notice that the KDM headlight photos don't have the "terrace pattern" against the white wall that the US-spec housings caused. Is this a result of the new housings (like, they don't have that ridge in the way of the beam as the US ones do), or a result of the HID bulbs?

2) Were your headlights realigned when you put in the KDM housings and took the pictures of the HID lighting against the white wall? Or are they "supposed" to skew up and towards the passenger side like that?

3) How much heavier are the glass housings versus the plastic US-spec ones?

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Iago ]
Old 01-11-2002, 11:10 PM

random when you say daylight bulb do you mean like daytime running lights .

we canadians come with the daytime running lights as stock.

but i believe in our cars the hibeam light is set at two wattages for this.

due you think it would be possable for these lights to work and still have the day time running lights work
Old 01-12-2002, 10:18 AM

OK alot of info to digest at once, but i think i have a question. The purple tinted light is SR HID(fake HID) and the bright white are REAL HID???
I'd like to buy some HID cheap lights for all my lights but i cant spend $500 on real per set. So what are the truest looking HID lights out there. I found MTEC on ebay, and they seem pretty good but are $50 a set. Anything else out there without the purple or blue tint being so visible?
Old 01-12-2002, 01:36 PM

The SR HID you see above is the real deal, not a "fake HID" hiper-blue or xenon bulb.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Originally posted by tibboom:
OK alot of info to digest at once, but i think i have a question. The purple tinted light is SR HID(fake HID) and the bright white are REAL HID???
I'd like to buy some HID cheap lights for all my lights but i cant spend $500 on real per set. So what are the truest looking HID lights out there. I found MTEC on ebay, and they seem pretty good but are $50 a set. Anything else out there without the purple or blue tint being so visible?

You ever get in front of a BMW and get blinded by their bright lights? That's how these are. Those Xenon lights are not true HIDs, they just are a tad more bright.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Originally posted by Iago:
Minorly confused by this...it looked like the bulbs mount through the hole you cut through the housing cap, and not by the brackets within the housings for the stock bulbs. Is this the case, or am I mistaken? If this is the case, then what difference would it make about which bulb goes into the foglight housing? If this isn't the case, then nevermind. wink.gif

Nope, the hole is for the WIRES to go though. The bulb is held in place by the stock system. You need a hole for the new wires to go out.

Originally posted by Raithan:
So since the Korean Spec Headlights were not needed for the mod, what other benefits do they have over the USA spec headlights?
None whatsoever other than the new K-Spec headlights have a glass front rather than a plastic front. The glass front is more prone to breakage, but it will not "yellow" or "haze" over time like the plastic USA headlights will. In fact, after driving 1500 miles with the Korean Spec headlights, I am advising everyone AGAINST buying them. The way the beam pattern goes UP on the RIGHT hand side allows the headlights to shine right in to all cars on your RIGHTt, and even up into the side view mirrors on Semi's. I kept geting brighted by semi's I passed going the same direction because the lights were SO BRIGHT up and to the RIGHT.

If you drive 99% in the city, or on rural roads, they would not be a problem, but I do about 50% of my driving (mileage wise) on the interstate, so I keep pissing off anyone I pass if they are on my right hand side.

Originally posted by Iago:
A few more questions for ya after further review of the pictures.
1) I notice that the KDM headlight photos don't have the "terrace pattern" against the white wall that the US-spec housings caused. Is this a result of the new housings (like, they don't have that ridge in the way of the beam as the US ones do), or a result of the HID bulbs?
2) Were your headlights realigned when you put in the KDM housings and took the pictures of the HID lighting against the white wall? Or are they "supposed" to skew up and towards the passenger side like that?
3) How much heavier are the glass housings versus the plastic US-spec ones?

#1. The new housings cause that pattern, not the HID bulb.
#2. The Korean Spec Headlights do that. See comment above.
#3. The Korean Spec Headlights are about 2-3 lbs heavier each.

Originally posted by dj_dlrm:
random when you say daylight bulb do you mean like daytime running lights .
we canadians come with the daytime running lights as stock.
but i believe in our cars the hibeam light is set at two wattages for this.
due you think it would be possable for these lights to work and still have the day time running lights work
The "city" light is different from DRL. The HID's would NOT work with the DRL feature. They cannot put out less light from less voltage. They are either ON, or OFF. So you canadians take note, you would have to use the "city" light as your DRL. (DRL = Daytime Running Light).

Originally posted by tibboom:

These are REAL HID lights. They come in Pure White, Blue Tint, and Purple Tint. The units I have are Purple Tint. The "deep purple" wears off over time, leaving you with a "whiter" light. They also get "whiter" as they warm up to tempature.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 01-16-2002, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Random:

In fact, after driving 1500 miles with the Korean Spec headlights, I am advising everyone AGAINST buying them. The way the beam pattern goes UP on the left hand side allows the headlights to shing right in to all cars on your left, and even into the side view mirrors on Semi's. I kept geting brighted by semi's I passed going the same direction because the lights were SO BRIGHT up and to the left.

well heres my info....
IMHO i like these better. KDM ones. heres the comparison

KDM has
city lights,
glass housing,
same bulb for high and low
light pattern is different but ill tell ya how

US
no city lights
dull housing
diff bulbs
but the only good thing about the us spec are the straight line that the lights put out

the kdm lights use a straight line then a arch up to the right. they're lower on the left so on coming traffic doesnt get beamed. theyre higher on the right because thats your part of the road.

random you said yours is higher on the left? mine arent like that. did you adjust it. because you can make it go all the way to the right if you just keep turning the screw.
should look like

_______///////

thats how my pattern is
is yours like
///////_______
if so then somethings wrong.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Sorry, You are correct, The Korean Spec lights are higher on the RIGHT. That light going up to the RIGHT kept pissing off anyone I passed. Small cars, SUV's, even Semi's. Semi's were the WORST!!! about 1 in 5 would "bright" me after I passed them.

You can see in the photos above, the lights are like this --/////, so they are higher up on the RIGHT.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 01-17-2002, 08:03 AM

yeah im not sure why its like that but i mean technically you could adjust it. just trouble. i still like em though. thats the only downfall is the beam pattern. i use to love the straight line. i just have them pointed up so high.