External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

SR HID's Vs Stocker Lights (LOTS OF PICS!)

Old 01-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default SR HID's Vs Stocker Lights (LOTS OF PICS!)

Sorry if this is fairly graphic intensive, but photos tell the story.

One quick note. This comparison is between Stock Tiburon USA Spec Headlights (80 Watt 9006 Low Beam and 100 Watt 9005 high Beam), and the HID kits.

One thing that skews the test slightly is that the headlights were switched out to Korean Spec Headlights. This lights are similar to the USA Spec Lights, with a couple of exceptions.

#1. The Korean Spec Headlights have a GLASS font cover, the North American Headlights are Plastic Front lenses.

#2. The Korean Spec front glass, has a slightly different pattern on it than the USA spec headlights. This difuses the light differently.

#3. The HID kit was JUST installed, so the lights were not 100% warm when the photos were taken.

Okay...on to the photos!!!

In order to get the HID lights and wires into the Stock (or Korean Spec) housings. You need to drill a 25mm hole in the light cover. The kit comes with rubber grommets to seal this hole you make, but I still reccomend silocone around the seams of the hole.

This is what the cover looked like when I started.

This is the hole. You will notice it is smaller than a quater, but larger than a nickle.

Old 01-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

I had to remove the North American spec headlights to install the Korean Spec units.

To remove the stock headlights, it is just 4 10mm bolts. 2 on each side of the headlight. To access the two outside bolts, It is necessary to remove the turn Signal.

ACK My Shark has No Eyes!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the "baseline photo". The wall, with a flash.

This is the Stock Low Beams with a Flash.

This is the Stock Low Beams WITHOUT a flash.

This is the Stock Low Beams and My Hella HID driving Lights, with flash.

This is the Stock Low Beams and My Hella HID driving Lights, WITHOUT flash.

This is My Hella HID driving Lights, with flash. (no headlights)

This is My Hella HID driving Lights, WITHOUT flash. (no headlights)

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 01-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams with Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams WITHOUT Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams AND high Beams with Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams AND High Beams WITHOUT Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams with Hella HID Driving Lights WITH Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams with Hella HID Driving Lights WITH Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams with Hella HID Driving Lights WITHOUT Flash

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beams with Hella HID Driving Lights WITHOUT Flash
Old 01-09-2002, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beam, HID Hig Beam, HID Driving Lights with flash.

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beam, HID Hig Beam, HID Driving Lights with flash.

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beam, HID Hig Beam, HID Driving Lights WITHOUT flash.

KoreanSpec Headlights HID Low Beam, HID Hig Beam, HID Driving Lights WITHOUT flash.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! Talk about lighting up a room when you enter it! Those look very good Random. I like a lot. wink.gif eek.gif
Old 01-10-2002, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

You can CLEARLY see that the SR HID headlights have a Purplish tint to them, but they are still much "whiter" and "brighter" than even the 80 watt/100 watt headlights they replaced.

The SR HID's also look Purple, compared to the "true white" of the Hella HID Driving lights.

You can also tell from the frontal shots, that the SR HID lights do not throw off much "waste" light. The Hella HID Driving lights put out A LOT of "waste" light. I often get "brighted" by oncoming traffic if I drive with the Hella HID's on. I have had NO such problems with the SR HID Headlights. (So far, only went 10 blocks with them).

I will have a FULL install Guide, and FAQ up at the end of next week.

Please do NOT ask how much the lights are, or how much the KoreanSpec Headlights are. Please put up a Post in the Product Request forum for that kind of information, or e-mail customerservice@sharkracing.com

If anyone has any questions regarding the HID lights, the install, or the KoreanSpec Lights, I will answer them here.

One last note. The KoreanSpec headlights are NOT DOT approved. They do NOT have DOT lettering or DOT numbers on them. Those of you who get hasseled often by the cops MAY run into problems with these Headlights (the headlight housing itself, not the HID kit). Also the KoreanSpec Headlights use H1 bulbs for both High and Low beam (still 4 bulbs). Lastly, the KoreanSpec Headlights also have a "city light" built into the High Beam. The Headlight housing itself is wired for this, however, USA Spec Tiburons do NOT have the wires running to the headlight connector. If you want that light to work you will have to do some wiring. The "city" light is a 194 "peanut" bulb.(Installed Colored Bulbs at your own risk). Removing that Bulb, and installing a Strobe would be very easy. (hint hint)
Old 01-10-2002, 12:16 AM

Vehicle: Custom Wagon

Looks good Random how long did it take you from start to finsih? Was there anything unexpected that came up?

BTW I'm surprised your still able to see after those pics.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:41 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Accent

Are these the actual HID conversion, not the Xenon replacements right?

Have any pics on the differences between these?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guilty:
Looks good Random how long did it take you from start to finsih? Was there anything unexpected that came up?

One thing that came up durring the install. The HID lights would NOT light up when hooked into the stock headlight wiring. I worked and played with the lights for the better part of 3 hours trying to get the HID's to light up using the stock wiring, and never had any luck. I know the juice was reaching the HID balasts, but they were just not lighting up.

Luckly, I had purchased 30 AMP relays and 30 AMP inline fuses for my install. I wnated to TRY them with the stock wiring first, then try them with the direct wiring to see if they would be brighter.

For those of you who are not electrically minded, I will be covering this aspect of the install in my Install Guide. 2 30 Amp Relays and 2 30 Amp inline fuses ran be $15 bucks from my local radio shack. The install is a Tad more complicated using this method of installation, but I assure, you, I will cover it from one end to the other, with plenty of pics, so even a electrical Novice should be able to accomplish the task with ease.

One last note on HID lighting. The HID lights are much BRIGHTER than stock lighting, however they draw MUCH LESS electricity off your electrical system. Stock Low beams are 55 watt, and stock High Beams are 60 Watt. (I was running 80W and 100W). The HID systems only draw 35 Watts.

The stock bulbs draw 110 Watts For both Low Beams(55 each), and 120 Watts(60 each) for High Beams for a combined 230 Watts. Add in another 70 watts(35Watts each) for the stock fog lights, and you are looking at 300 Watts of electricty to light up the road.

My 3 HID lighing systems use a combined 210 Watts.

What does this mean to you? If you have a thumpin' Stereo system, you've got more available juice for your stereo with HID, and your headlights will not dim or flicker, or at least not dim/flicker as much. In my testing, even on battery only power, I could not get the HID's to dim/flicker. I could get the stockers to dim/flicker with the engine running at idle.