External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

2011 Sonata and HID's

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Well folks got the low beam hid in. Pain in the ass! The elantra has a low voltage sensor that I had to use a wiring harness to get it to work correctly. It cuts the current to the lights if it doesnt sense the correct wattage.

This is from another forum i'm on all the time, but i'm assuming the new Sonata has the same deal, so regardless of more or less wattage, if it's not the same, it won't work.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE

Nice DTN I really appreciate the electron training. I have been in electronics and electronic repair for 20+ years at this point so I understand that the 35w bulbs pull less amperage than a 55w bulb however, I also understand that HID's pull more of an initial surge than halogen. Besides if I were to have shorted anything to ground why did only the passenger side front turn signal stick with a voltage high and not any of the other lights? Also if you would have read the forum link I posted I am not the only one that had this happen to and with the same turn signal.

To me that sounds like a new model Sonata design flaw brought to light by my trying to install the HID's not an install error. Especially considering I had a friend that has installed HID's before assisting me.

So, I tried to be cordial and explain myself and my issues after you placed 90% of the issue on my shoulders.

I should have just for in case situations gotten the wiring harness and relay. I didn't my car is now a bit messed up and I will rectify the situation. Sorry to have bothered all of you by trying to bring to light my issue and my research.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Double post sorry

However E= voltage, I= current, R= resistance, and P= power (watts)
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

If you put the stock bulbs back in, is the problem fixed? What's wrong with the wiring harness, and the junction box?

I'm wondering if it'll be a temporary fix until you can get the wiring harness.

You could order two new dust caps, since you drilled into the old ones, and take it to the dealer and say, "Wha happund?"

I got a relay harness for my HIDs but never installed it. Maybe I should...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM

No the problem persists even with stock bulbs in.

Ordered new dust caps so I can play the stupid role to get the junction box. All I can gather from the forum I linked above is "something in the junction box fried" Near as the friend and I can gather is the flasher is located in the junction box. We cannot however figure out why they built the system not as a continuous circuit seems each quarter is seperate. The passenger front side is the only flasher effected not the passenger back or the driver front ... seems odd.

Once I get the harness I will be reinstalling the headlights ... so much brighter than the stock halogen.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Anyone happen to have a wire harness from DDM tuning they would be willing to sell? I was on their site and saw the harness was only $12.50 but $17.00 for shipping seemed a bit steep. Figured I would ask here first.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

See if you can get one cheaper from member Paul J. McCain (Diode Dynamics vendor here). I don't know if they're compatible or not.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Thats what I am afraid of and why I will most likely drop the $29.00 to get the DDM ones ... sucked that they caused this issue. Loved the brightness for the couple hours I got to run em.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Veloster DCT w/ Tech

Yes, it will be compatible. I have a Paul J. setup for my low beam HID's with DDM bulbs because I wanted a whiter shade. The 2 vendors parts are interchangeable.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Here is what my car looks like before I unplug the headlight ... sorry image is so dark .. that little lightbulb is BRIGHT!!