Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Do You Want For Normally Aspirated Power?

Old 05-24-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

why did you type inside the quote?

nevermind
Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

well i guess u would say that im looking for good N/A mods that will still be on my turbo set up. although i pretty much have everything im going to do N/A. im going turbo because i want the power, i want about 200whp rather cost effectively. cost shouldnt be too much of a problem, it only affects the time table as to when i start buying this stuff. i will go turbo, i just hope to get it all done before i go back to school. im not going all out n/a because im looking for good power, somewhat cheaply and i want to be able to use it all the time.

i spend alot more time spiritedly driving than at the track and im not gonna use spray because its not there unless u really want it.

if i was going to ASK for something for just N/A i would just want the parts to be a lil cheaper, i guess.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

handling/braking:

already have/paid for and waiting on...

-front and rear strut bars
-ksport coilovers
-16 inch ALT wheels with fuzionZRi tires
-eibach sway bar set
-stock calipers with D&S rotors and goodridge ssbrake lines

considering...
-JDM center support bar on ebay
-hyundai oem BBK, with a slight twist.
-poly bushings everywhere

go fast stuff:

already have/paid for and waiting on...
-ebay CAI
-OBX exhaust
-ngk plugs/wires
-rside advanced ss

considering...
-turbocharging, but it would have to be with a BB type turbo. want to reduce lag as much as possible
-pulleys
-lightened flywheel
-stronger clutch
-a setup to get the proper amount of fuel to that

want about 200, mostly lag free whp. really dont want to try nitrous, i want steady speed.

main constraint, money.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Who do I have to give a BJ to, to get a 70mm TB for around $250? This is what I've been wanting for a while.

I'm just upset that they stopped selling them right around the time everyone here is putting together decent na/turbo setups.

I'm about to look into welding up my own.

I'm creating a nitrous post to get some clarification from this one about it. Look in the power adders section for the "Why don't you have nitrous???" post. Just let me know what you think.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:00 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Now I looking for some custom mods:

custom 4-2-1 headers
custom exhaust 2.25 or 2.5"
custom Ti or Al pulleys

maybe later bigger TB with modified IM (new flange welded)

In future I want go turbo rolleyes.gif
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I want to have 200whp on an N/A motor without nitrous, and I want to be able to spend less than $4k

From what I see now we'll take the best/most expensive N/A mods available for us and you tell me where I should be sitting HP-wise.

AEM CAI - 200
Airram - 500
61mm Rside BBTB - 250
Maintec GT Headers - 700
Apexi N1 Exhaust - 450
Pulley Set - 150
1.8 OEM ECU - 50
1.8 OEM Cam - 200
Fiberglass (cuz i don't like CF tongue.gif) Hood for weight reduction - 450
Lightweight 16-17" wheels + tires - 800

Those are about all the options we have for N/A, and from what I've read all of those won't give you 200whp.

Maybe if we had a better head available for us?
or better cams (that the stock ECU can handle)
or a better ECU?

Grand Total: $3750 - that's about the cost of a basic turbo setup that would get you better numbers..
but for those of us who WANT to stay N/A, we pretty much get screwed.

Plus it's people like me who have an automatic, so the times get shoved up even higher..especially with N/A. A decked out N/A auto tib is still pretty slow..we need more support! (cams, heads, ecus)!

I have no problem paying a lot of money for the stuff, but I would rather NOT go custom, I don't trust too many shops to do anything with my car in my area..plus there isn't a lot of custom stuff around here like that, you live in california--it's a lot different. I live in hickville wisconsin, if it's not a ford people don't know what it is!

(I have already explained my reason for wanting to stay N/A, and why the manual swap would be a way later project)
Old 05-25-2005, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

paint the cf.

also, that 3750 number is too close to 4k. there are so many other tidbits that will add up that will shoot that number over 4k.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1.8 ECU and cam are nice "cheap" mods... but you wouldn't go that route if you were looking for the most power. Unless the 1.8ECU is less of a pain in the 2.0 (throwing fuel trims, etc.) and you corrected the advanced timing it probably creates with piggybacks/standalone.

KSpec can get all the high cams you want from Korea... Rick as well. Decent prices as well, $800-1000 for cams is pretty much what you have to pay anywhere.

As for the head, its just a matter of finding a decent machining shop and forking up the cash.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:44 PM

I got the Ark Catback and I'll probably get the AEM CAI.

In the next few years I want to get out on the local tracks (PIR Road course, Firebird, and Arizona Motor Park) and run the open track events. I'm trying to decide how best to do that. I could put about $12k into the Tibby and have a pretty darn fast car. I could buy an early/mid 90's Camaro or Mustang and modify that for about the same price. Or I could save up and buy a WRX Sti or Lotus Elise.

A part of me would really love to torque up my Tibby and get out on the track and wow people with a Hyundai. And since I already have the car, it could happen slowly over time. But going with a Camaro/Mustang gives you a whole slew of parts you can choose from!

So I guess parts selections and "bang for the buck" are keeping me from really modding my Tiburon beyond the "simple" I/E mods.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:57 PM

ITB all the way.