Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

What Do You Want For Normally Aspirated Power?

Old 05-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as of right now I would like to hit the 200WHP mark. I have all my turbo parts now, i just need to install them. So basically I am happy with everthing car performance wise, the only thing in my way is my cousins crazy schedule. He will be the one helping with the installs and hes the one with tools and a garage. So as soon as he gets some time, my car should be just about perfect.

My turbo kit is very very basic right now. Just enough to run 7 psi max. So i guess in the future i would like to get a SMT-6, the spacer for the 4 extra injectors and low comp pistons.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Parts on the list, only for the engine:

- high comp pistons
- standalone or high-eng piggyback
- head work
- quad throttle
- injectors
- fuel pump
- crank work

Pretty much everything else is done (cams, UDP, h/e, tb/IM, flywheel,...)

Brakes (tiby brakes) will be done this year, suspension (coilover) next year and then I will finish the engine...since I putted the cams in, engine is not a priority.

Money is not a reason...it is a common constraint.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM

you would spend over 5k and not achieve 200whp
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 PM

with that list of parts (and maybe a few more) the guys in korea have hit 257 WHP in N/A form.

I'd skip the 4TB setup and just go with a good custom intake manifold. It would cost less and unless you're really shooting for that 250+WHP mark, will work just fine.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:42 PM

I know, the point is not HP alone....it's having nice power, delivered in a "linear" matter with reliability....a turbo won't give you this unless you get into more expensive jobs.

As I said, N/A advanced setups are more expensive than a common turbo setup, not an advanced turbo setup.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:43 PM

Actually Random, since you figured out the head for us.. most everything is availible. All I need to do is find somebody who can figure out how to get good velocity AND volume through the beta head and I will be a very happy camper.

Shall I spell it out what I want to do?

1.8 crank in a 2.0 block. Lightened and balanced of course
Lightened aftermarket rods to take the strain of high RPM use.
High compression pistons. Which will wind up lower due to the 1.8 crank
Lumpy cams, but not so lumpy as to make the car sluggish off idle
Head work
Air ram
BBTB
4 to 1 header and exhaust
MSW ignition to handle the higher RPM duties
CAI
Bypass fuel cut at 6750 rpms

and here comes the kicker.. I either need a VERY good piggy back that can keep the engine running strong as it approaches 8 grand on the tach.. or I got to find a way to run a standalone AND have some way to pass the ORBII emissions test.

As far as HP goes.. I am actually pretty happy with the stock engine in my Tib. It has enough power to get most anybody into trouble. It is only when you want to "race" that the Beta falls on it's face as being underpowered compared to it's competition. So I am looking for somewhere around 160whp.

As for nitrous, I would not touch that for the same reasons I am uncomfortible with a turbo.

Something I do want to play with: The variable cam timing that the newest Beta2s have. It might be nice to use a honda vtec controller to keep a lumpy cam retarded until about 2500 or 3 grand then to advance it compleatly to get a screaming redline.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:55 PM

what about you random?? answer your own post....
Old 05-24-2005, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Random @ May 24 2005, 11:17 AM)
REDZMAN Space/Time &Money

I never said money. ninja.gif

No one has YET touched the Nitrous issue.
50-75 HP for $600 bucks is the best bang for the buck. Why haven't any of you financially challenged individuals considered Nitrous?

I want permanant power. I wouldn't mind putting in a small Nitrous kit in the meantime, but the wife has told me NO NITROUS. She thinks it's dangerous or that I would use it all the time. My deal though I I'm not into racing much, maybe some Autocrossing soon, or a few 1/4 mile runs, but other than that, it's not my thing.

No one has YET touched the issue of what you WANT. Powerwise, cost wise, etc.. What are you guys looking for? What WOULD you spend your $$$ on ?

I want a FASTER car that handles great. My handling is doing well, it's almost where I want it. Power? I want 250 to 300 HP. I'd be happy as hell around 300.

QUOTE (Random @ May 24 2005, 02:50 PM)
Sofar.. no one has said what parts they WANT/are looking for.
Apparently everyone is happy with what's out there?

Parts? Easy, I want a QUALITY BBTB option. I want the ICEMAN intake to get finished and dyno'd. I want some decently priced Cam options. I want some wiring harnesses that plug in for piggybacks. I want a set of aftermarket pulleys that FIT my car without modification. I want the Apexi Exhausts to be a stocked item in the US. I'd like a BBK that fits 16 inch wheels, doesn't require a new MC, and runs for a decent price. I'm NOT happy with what's out there, that's just a beginning list.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

^LOL Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that.

As far as nitrous is concerned, it's illegal to have it setup here in Canada except at the dragstrip. THe closest strip to me is about 1hr away. I want something that I can use when I drive daily. If some old lady in a Caddy pulls out in front of me I want to be able to drop a gear and get around her fast and easily.

N/A or FI, it really doesn't matter to me. I chose FI cause I wanted a little bit of a challenge and the N/A route is pretty expensive. As it stands I'll be at a safe 200hp (Prolly crank, I hope whp but....) for a decent amount of change.

To get there with N/A mods seemed tougher, and more costly. Plus when I came in we didn't have you. wink1.gif

Basically, I would like to see some cheaper modifications for the Beta. The Airram, while proven to provide a good boost in power, is kinda expensive IMO. Even the Maintec headers and manifolds were a bit high even with the Group Buy. But alas, this is a korean made car and to import such items you kinda have to take a couple on the chin.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Redz summed up basically what everyone wants. I don't want to pay $350 for a TB, and I'm probably too lazy to spend hours upon hours boring up my own. Same with the IM. That and my portwork is decent, but not as good as a brand new item. I like having the best possible on my car if reasonably expensive.

I would pay $399 for the KSpec Racing Headers as they use to be, but the dollar is so weak now it aggrivates me that they are $499(!). $250 for a nice 61mm TB, and maybe $450-500 for a nice IM. Camshafts for $600-700 would be great, not extremely lumpy like a 272, but something that would give the power a good bump.