Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Ticking Sound When Runnign

Old 09-17-2005, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

i dont know if it increases, if i remember right it does. i have a 190 fuel pump. and stock injectors. i am missing a injector spacer thing for the bolts, would it be taht the injectors arent lvl? i thought htey were pretty damn lvl
Old 09-17-2005, 06:38 PM

Usually if it's injector's noise it tends to quiet down if you rev it a little like to 2000-2500 rpm, if it still ticks, then it's the HLA's. I had the problem and it was also due to a faulty oil pump, which I changed AFTER I had installed new HLA's mad.gif (Inever heard of oil pumps going bad, so I thaught it was the HLA's and changed them only to find the ticking continued).
Well, at the end I have a very smooth engine with new oil pump, new HLAs, new 1.8 Intake cam, so, I guess I wont have to worry there for a while wink1.gif
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 PM

what are HLA? its DEF the injectors. and it still happens when reving. would cleaning them maybe fix it?
Old 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM

HLA's are Hydraulic Lash Actuators or something similar, and they lift the valves, but they are not solid, they have oil passages inside and work at high oil pressures, the reason for them is because they are suposedly quieter than solid lifters (very questionable) and also because in case of very soft valve-piston contact (figure why that would happen) they could compress a little and avoid diminish damage on the valves/pistons. All Beta1 engines that came on RD1 and RD2 Tiburons have them.

How are you SURE the noise is from the injectors? I mean why do you KNOW it's from them? Because if you rev it and it sounds, the sound more likely could be the HLA's, and that's when they are worn or when your oil pump does not pump enough pressure.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

how much would new HLA's cost? yikes.... mine is not real loud ticking, but let's say you're parked and you're in park or neutral and you give it some gas, then there's a ticking sound coming from the engine itself. the sound isn't loud loud but noticeable. it sounds like a piece of plastic flicking very rapidly or something.

i have 110k miles on my motor...
Old 09-20-2005, 09:06 PM

screwdriver to the hear gave the loud ticking noise coming from injectors. tested it twice. once just followingi t by ear, and 2nd time with screwdriver.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

mine sounds like a sprinkler..... seriously. haha other people have seconded that. its pretty loud and when i rev it the ticking doubles (or close to that) its pace, but does not slowly go up with the rpms.... its like speed a, or speed b... no inbetween. what you guys think that could be, same thing??

sorry if i hijacked this.... i saw other people jump in so i thought i would too
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM

I may be of no help here, but i had the same kind of sound coming from what i thought were the injectors. So sombeody suggested an early oil change. Guess what, the sound was gone soon as I started her up after the change. I dont know why it did it, but i know that changing the oil worked. SO if you havent allready, maybe yu should just give it a try. It cant hurt anything and it doesnt cost much either.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: tiburon 1998

Well, if I understand you all correctly, so you have the same problem as many other hyundai around here.

I also have some kind of a ticking noice whe ideling, poushing the gas pedal makes it go slightly more quitely...

A friend of mine baught an RD tib a while ago, and was intended to get rid of that sound.
He obvioustly had enough oil, so these were not the valves (that might make it sound like a diesel engine)

Second they took off the valve cover and replaced the chain that conects the camshafts.
I did the same, since it tendes to strech after years of use, to make some kind of an anoying ticking sound.
PS. instead of replacing it, you can take off the metal gaurd on top of that chein, that IS being hit by it once streched. I preffered keeping it.

Well, now part of the sound dissappeared, but not completely.
So they tok off the head a couple of times...nothing....

Let's jump to the end.... hundreds of dollars paid for labor later:

They took off the carter (can't remember the correct english word... )
to reach the oil pump. It's mechanical, not electric.

Once replaced, they found out that the old one didn't generate enough pressure to reach the lifters (or maybe HLA?! sorry for the shitty english).

TADAM! problem solved.

EDIT: Oh yes, please do use semi-synthetic oil, like hyundai suggests.
I used to be a smart ass and use all-syntetic, since i know it should stand better in highr rev-high temp coditions, BUT it made couple of these sounds LOUDER.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:59 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

QUOTE (gsasha1 @ Sep 21 2005, 09:14 AM)
They took off the carter (can't remember the correct english word... )
to reach the oil pump. It's mechanical, not electric.

carter = oil pan