Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pod Air Filters Mythbusted

Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

The "pod filters" are in the CARBON FIBER NON-FACTORY airboxes.

Perhaps on the Group N astra, I mean you just can't see a filter either way, but the rest of the pitured race cars have visible filter clips around the squared edges of the airbox.

OEM intakes simply make sense:

-Most panel filters have more surface area than most pod filters - not only that but pod filters are rarely utilising the whole filter

-Intake resonators tangibly increase power output and reduce noise.

-The OEM spent more R&D time with computational flow dynamics programs than any eBay seller, or any of us.

With precious few exceptions, every new car and every successful racing car will use a panel filter and 'restrictive' intake resplendent with bends, sharp edges, resonators, and intake snorkels that can't be drawn in MSpaint.

does it make you mad that we OWE more money than your entire countrys net worth and yet still go on just fine?

country's*

When I get angry, I go joyride the ambulance for free.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

To get back on track here is a nice explanation by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake.

P.S

Sorry MacGyver, not mad nor hopefully anything personal intended but can you get your guys to get your dollar up over ours as it's killing our exporting
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Perhaps on the Group N astra, I mean you just can't see a filter either way, but the rest of the pitured race cars have visible filter clips around the squared edges of the airbox.

OEM intakes simply make sense:

-Most panel filters have more surface area than most pod filters - not only that but pod filters are rarely utilising the whole filter

-Intake resonators tangibly increase power output and reduce noise.

-The OEM spent more R&D time with computational flow dynamics programs than any eBay seller, or any of us.

With precious few exceptions, every new car and every successful racing car will use a panel filter and 'restrictive' intake resplendent with bends, sharp edges, resonators, and intake snorkels that can't be drawn in MSpaint.

You've very obviously never been inside AEM's facility. I have. The R&D they have there is probably MORE extensive than any OEM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/

http://www.tricktuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226

I like their statement "This shows how easy it is to make a dyno graph that "proves" that you made hp. Reading the above info will explain why this is BS when you factor everything in."

AEM level of R&D ?

"Back in December of '03, AEM was looking for a donor YJ with either a 4.0L or 2.5L so they could do the R&D for their Brute Force cold air intake system. After speaking with Damon from AEM, I agreed to let them borrow my YJ for ~11 days while I was in Australia visiting ARB. Anyway, I towed my YJ up to the AEM facility, dropped it off, then returned for it 11 days later.

I saw the dyno printout numbers of the before & after AEM intake. AEM also eventually sent me a free system down the road when they went into full blown production.

After I receieved it - I decided to sell it instead of installing it."

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...ystems-749286/
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ Perhaps I'm missing something? Are you saying that because they had the Jeep for 11 days, they don't do R&D or are you saying there's something wrong with their intake? I read that guys post and all it says is that he sold the intake.

Like I said, I've been there. The facility is the size of several football fields and that's just the R&D, not the warehouse.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM

I'm not knocking the size of their R&D area, quality nor that they doing any R&D but more the level of R&D as you compared as them probably MORE extensive an original equipment manufacturer that i assume you have been to also.

11 days i guess in your books is extensive R&D as i guess it only took Toyota 12 months to built the FT-86 prototype and another 2 years to get into production so each and every part would have gone through extensive R&D.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

They had the car for 11 days, that's not how long they spent on R&D... and Toyota designed an entire car from scratch, not an intake. Oh, and yes, I have been to Hyundai USA.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Getting back on track ,read the thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/ and try to debunk it....
Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Honestly guys, who cares. I think most people that install an intake don't do it expecting a huge HP increase. I didn't. I just like the fact that my car "sounds" fast, but is actually slow as molasses. lol.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by pas1216
Honestly guys, who cares. I think most people that install an intake don't do it expecting a huge HP increase. I didn't. I just like the fact that my car "sounds" fast, but is actually slow as molasses. lol.

Oh yeah, well my car sounds faster than your car.