Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Pod Air Filters Mythbusted

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Accent, 2007 Kia Spectra

Anyone notice how they also didn't reset the ECU and provide the common place 300 mile range of testing for the ecu to make acquaintance to the lovely cone apparatus ("pod" sounds cheeky). So the cone podual was never being accurately tested. It was just some whore filter the ecu wasn't used to slapped on there to make a personal statement about ricers.

/Stir Pot
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

How on earth could you scientifically compare three air filters on the dyno, if you drive 300 miles between testing them? This is back-to-back testing, on the same dyno, in the same weather conditions, with the same wear on the engine etc etc

Additionally, the ECU doesn't adjust its full-load maps due to feedback from the car. The only long-term fuel trim tuning that takes place is done with the use of the oxygen sensor - the narrowband 02 sensor is only providing useful feedback up to about 70% of full load.

Still waiting for some explicit refutation of the points made in the jeep article.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by OTECTom
Oh yeah, well my car sounds faster than your car.

I bet you my car could sound faster in the 1/4 mile than yours! huh?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ummm...

Well, maybe. But, my car can sound faster er uhhh for the 1/4 mile, errr, technical terminology, don't forget to double clutch like you should, then... Science Fiction!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Y'all are still at it about these damn intakes....
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I don't need to refute anything. If you guys don't want to stick an intake on your car, don't. I personally dynoed my '01 Tiburon and it made 109 whp bone friggin stock. Without even unstrapping it from the dyno, I installed an AEM intake and made 121 whp. I was running the dyno and the car, so there was no shenanigans. I always use them and they always make power for me. If you can't get an intake to make power on your car, you suck at cars. I have personally seen K&N drop-in filters make 8 whp on several different LS1 powered F-Bodies.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

From a Jeep Engineer?

"In the case of the TJ, the 4.0L is an engine optimized for low RPM power and torque - the potential increase in airflow that a cold air intake might offer would not really play into the typical RPM range that a 4.0L generally operates in. "

I think its funny I am on this side of the argument with no intention of removing my stock intake pipe... lol, not on the HD anyway.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

At the end of the day there is more independent and factual evidence from respectable sources that state that aftermarket air intake/pod filter are no better than the majority of OEM fitted to stock N/A manufactured vehicles, more has been shown compared to only the opinions including no visual evidence but assumptions from unsupported diagrams.

= Mythbusted
Old 09-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by XGODZX
At the end of the day there is more independent and factual evidence from respectable sources

A Jeep forum (Really? Jeep? Performance? Really?) and a couple of Australian wankers on a Youtube video does not more evidence make.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by XGODZX
At the end of the day there is more independent and factual evidence from respectable sources that state that aftermarket air intake/pod filter are no better than the majority of OEM fitted to stock N/A manufactured vehicles, more has been shown compared to only the opinions including no visual evidence but assumptions from unsupported diagrams.

= Mythbusted

did you not read i8acobra's post? can't get more evidence than that.