Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

My Engine

Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can hear it in the car and out,but thats with hood popped.
Havent put hood down to hear it.But its loud with hood up hear that more than anything
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

add some fresh oil and use half a quart of Marvel mystery oil. i have used this since i started working on cars also add some of the MMO to the gas as well

here it is..

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/main.taf?p=1

i use in a F430 that comes to our shop
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 PM

ill try that can i get it local like autozone?I just put fresh oil in.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 PM

i belive they should have it.. since you put oil in go ahead and put about have a cup or so, and follow the directions when you add it to the gas.. after one tank or two you should see a diffrents... the shit is great
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

The problem is not internal, you have an exhaust leak. You have a OBX manifold which uses a SS flange that warps as soon as it it loosened from the head.

Go out and heat cycle the car and while it is still hot tighten the exhaust manifold nuts and the ticking will go away.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM

oo i dunno if its that. my obx did need to be retightened after a few days use, but since then its here or there i just check to make sure its tight. mine never ever had an exhaust leak loud enough to compare to a lifter tick.

i wouldnt rule it out, but im just saying that by what it soudns like his description, its a lifter.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 AM

ok the bolts are tight.The car ticks bad when driving very loud.
Also like it hit boost little bit,then just stop wont go not 1psi into boost at all.
Now when it did hit boost for one second didnt pull at all felt weak,now wont even go into it just stopped,no vac leaks,did this before week ago.
Now that I drive the car again just today this noise has been there for like a week.
But I thought it was just something vibrating cause i had 3bolts gone on my manifold to turbo flange.And it was cracked.
needed welded.and new gasket turbo to manifold gasket
Its nothing vibrating and what ever it is stopping me from boost.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Tim is right i never would have thought to suggest that i assumed you put it back together right.. check the timeing, and make sure the line going to the wastegate are correct also did anyting fall into the turbo at all? and are all the I/C lines on tight..also check your cps sensor "crank position sensor" as well ticking ..... this is strange ... can you post a video or some pics
Old 09-17-2007, 10:13 AM

OK, I am not any expert on turbo matters, but I'll try to help you with a few ideas here...
ticking might come from:
a) HLAs, and this in fact might be generated by 3 main reasons
1) Clogged/Bad (or discharged HLAs; but they would charge again in a few minutes)
2) Bad oil pump. It happened to me, ended up changing 16 HLAs for nothing, it was the pump and it can catch you just with no frigging symptoms or anything to warn you prior to failure. How can you tell, it ticks if you rev over 3000rpm, it you stay below it shouldn't tick.
3) Are you 100% sure you didn't tap by any way the oil feed for the HLAs on your head? The turbo gasket is for Beta1, also the head gasket (I am not sure if gaskets are interchangeable). I wouldn't know but since this is the work you did, you might have accidentaly tapped your oil passage.

Also, try to discard if it's really a tich from the valvetrain or not; try to listen to the noise standing next to your engine bay, and then get below your engine bay, if ticking is louder on the upper part then chances are it's valvetrain ticking....

hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Get a short piece of garden hose. With one end by your ear, move the other end around the engine untill you can pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from. If its from an exhuast leak you will be able to easily figure it out. My friend did this and found out his dipstick needed to be twisted a 1/4 turn and the sound stopped.
Also, I'm assuming you've checked your oil level?