DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Painting Spark Plug Cover

Old 11-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed Redz example on painting the spark plug cover, and it turned out awesome.

"Painting Spark Plug Cover", By REDZMAN

Ok, I finally managed to get ahold of the Metalcast Ground Coat to do my Valve Cover project. I won't go in too much depth on it, but you need the following...

12 Corona Light's... (Gettin fat!)
2 Limes, Sliced...
10 MM Socket W/Wrench and extension
1 Pair Pliars
1 Can each of Metalcast (Duplicolor) Anodized Paint and MetalCast Ground Coat.
1 Steel Wool Pad (Chore Boy)

Ok, first thing, clean your engine well.

Wait to dry...

Then you take off the spark plug cover, it's the central part that has the Hyundai Symbol and 16V DOHC lables on it. Then, take off your valve cover. I also took of the black plastic cover to the left of the sparkplug cover, it has 4 10MM Bolts. When you take off the Valve Cover, remember to disconnect the 2 hoses on the back right side before you pull it off, you will need the pliars for one.

Cover your exposed engine with a clean plastic garbage bag, tuck it tight over the engine and close the hood.

Head inside and wash/scrub the parts with hot soapy water. I used AJAX dishsoap, it's hard on grease and oil. Remove the gasket from the valve cover and the part that covers the belt on the left of the engine. Let them dry, or coax them along with a heat gun as I did.

Now, on the Sparkplug Cover, everyone told me that the Hyundai and 16V DOHC symbols were part of the plastic. They aren't, they are metal plates attatched with 2 sided sticky tape. To remove, don't pry, you'll bend them of mess up the black portion. Instead, get a drill and carefully drill from the back side untill you hit the metal. Put a series of holes thru like this...

When you get the holes thru to the metal, get a screwdriver and gently push on the backing untill they rise up, do it evenly up and down the row of holes. These holes are also a great place to put a clothes hanger thru to hold for painting/drying.

Get your Chore Boy Steel Wool and scuff the plastic you are planning on painting. To be honest, you should just have to do the sparkplug cover and that extra cover on the left. The Valve Cover and Oil Cap are textured enough for the paint to stick.

Wipe the plastic down with a damp washcloth to get any plastic dust off and again let dry.

When you are fully sure you are ready and in a dust free environment, lightly spray the parts with the Metalcast Ground Coat. Let it dry for about 10 minutes and then recoat. I did a total of 5 coats on each part before I moved on to the color. Try to not get any paint on the underside of the valve cover (Stuff the holes with tissue paper or tape over them with masking tape). Also try not to get paint on the bottom of the oilcap.

Wait for at least 30 minutes after your last coat of the Ground Coat before starting the color coat. The procedure is the same, I did 5 coats here too.

After you are done painting, let the parts dry for around an hour and a half, then reinstall the gaskets, and re-install the covers, carefully tightening the bolts so you don't mess up the paint.

Reinstall the hoses on the back of the valve cover, put the sparkplug wires back in place, then the rest of the pieces. Be carefull and you won't scratch the paint.

Start your engine and run it for an hour or so, to help dry and cure the paint. Once the paint drys fully it is VERY hard and looks great.

Lastly, when it is all dry, scrape any paint from the places the 2 metal lables go. Scrape the extra tape off of the back of them also. Apply some THIN 2 sided tape to the backing of the lables, staying at least 1/8 of an inch away from the edges.

Apply the lables and push them firmly in place. Done.

Drink all the beer now.

PRODUCT:

Thanks agian Redz, this is an awesome looking DYI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is what my spark plug cover looks like now. using Duplicolor Metalcast.

Thanks Redz
Old 03-07-2004, 10:32 AM

is this a very tough thing to do? i've never painted anything on my car and i want to paint the spark plug cover the same color as my intake and strut bar...
Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 AM

NO
Not hard to paint
BE PAITENT!
MANY LIGHT COATS
smile.gif
Old 03-07-2004, 03:50 PM

ok... so should i go with like about 5 coats per paint type or do what i think looks best... i dont want to screw it all up and have to start over.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Just follow my instructions on that DIY link mang, comes out perfect. Especially if you use the paint I suggest.

Thanks for the props Canadian Shark, post some pics mang! I missed this when you posted it, I was "Internetless".

LOL
Old 03-08-2004, 08:02 AM

DYI and pictures updated
Old 03-08-2004, 08:29 AM

would this kind of paint also be good for painting the dash??? or would it be too prone to scratching due to not being heat cured as easily?? I work for a painting co. so i do have access to a heat gun, but wouldn't want to melt or deform my dash.

and what about the exhaust manifold cover?? or would there be too much heat there for that??
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>would this kind of paint also be good for painting the dash??? or would it be too prone to scratching due to not being heat cured as easily??</div>

I will let you know in another month or so, how it turns out. I am going to use the Metalcast red on the plastic part of the dash, and the interior.

If you are thinking of painting it on the actaull dash, (the vinyl part) I am pretty sure that it would be just as prone to scratching as any other spray paint.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:44 AM

no, not the crash pad part (although i'd love to make that match the rest of the black vinyl in the interior) i was talking about just the plastic stuff.

Thanks, i'll be waiting to see it when you're done.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:46 AM

i had no idea it was some kinda hard thing to paint a spark plug cover, and that there was a whole post about it....i've painted mine like a million different times just cause i get bored of the color...just painted my valve cover the other day...woo woo...hardest part was prepping and making sure paint stayed on the top...no beers required, and a minimal amount of my bored time....

candianshark nice color...mine is exactly the same...well was....i'm in the process of changing it right now just have been too lazy to go down and buy the color paint i want.