DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Painting Spark Plug Cover

Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weird, mine hasn't discolored, and I used the same thing.
You sure you have enough coats?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 PM

Holy resuurrected threads, Batman!

Seriously, I used touch up spray paint and graphite wheel paint on mine... no bubbling what-so-ever. You sure you let it dry long enough before installing? Sure it was oil and dirt free?

Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaaFisch @ Jun 7 2005, 05:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I used the paint that redz suggested in the DIY above.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Did you clean the parts with soap and hot water?

Did you let them dry FULLY? Inside and out?

Did you follow the directions to the letter?

Did you let it dry completely after painted?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

did someone say ah aha ha aha ha CORONA!!! ohhhhhh hell yeah.... now that what i am talking about
Old 06-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i did wash everything with soap and water.

I'm pretty sure i let everything dry enough before putting it on my car. I think it was drying for about 2 hours before i put it on my car and i put 5 coats of each on it.

I followed the directions exactly how they were stated in the DIY. I took off the cover, washed it, scoffed it up with some steal wool, drilled the hold through the back and took off the emblems, washed it again, then put on the ground coat (5 coats 10 minutes between) then i put on the color coat after maybe 30 minutes to an hour(don't know if this duration effected it) and then did the same. let it dry for 2 hours then put it on my car and let that run for about and hour.

Maybe i should try it again. Is there anything special out there to take the paint off besideds paint thinner and scraping?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 AM

<span style="color:red">goof off is god's gift to removing anything you don't want like sticky stuff, paint, tar...you name it. it's awesome. everyone needs to own a can of this stuff! lol.gif you can pick it up at walmart or any similar location. </span>
Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaaFisch @ Jun 8 2005, 10:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>i did wash everything with soap and water.

I'm pretty sure i let everything dry enough before putting it on my car. I think it was drying for about 2 hours before i put it on my car and i put 5 coats of each on it.

I followed the directions exactly how they were stated in the DIY. I took off the cover, washed it, scoffed it up with some steal wool, drilled the hold through the back and took off the emblems, washed it again, then put on the ground coat (5 coats 10 minutes between) then i put on the color coat after maybe 30 minutes to an hour(don't know if this duration effected it) and then did the same. let it dry for 2 hours then put it on my car and let that run for about and hour.

I would have let it sit longer between coats and at least a day before installing. Each time you apply paint, it softens the layers below it, chances are you had wet/soft paint beneath the hard top coat and once the heat of the engine was applied, it began hardening too fast and the gases tried to escape, causing your bubbles.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:18 AM

I would recommend you take it off and use carb/choke cleaner or gas on it, but Redzman would probably be scared you would catch your car on fire. tongue.gif You can do that, but, make sure you wash it off afterwards to get any extra gas off so we don't have anyone coming on here complaining there car caught on fire from Ham's advice. lol.gif

Maybe put on a couple coats of clear on top of the paint. It helps protect the actual paint. Clear coats should be done lightly 40 minutes in between, and you should let everything dry overnight. Here is an order I did:

Sand/Prep
First light ground coat, let dry 30 mins
Second light ground coat, let dry 30 mins
sand down lightly after 30 mins
Last light ground coat, let dry 30 mins
First coat of color, let dry 30 mins
Sand down lightly after 30 mins
Second coat of color, let dry 30 mins
Third coat of color, let dry 30 mins
Coat of clear, let dry 40 mins
Coat of clear, let dry 40 mins
Last coat of clear, let dry overnight
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jun 8 2005, 04:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I would have let it sit longer between coats and at least a day before installing. Each time you apply paint, it softens the layers below it, chances are you had wet/soft paint beneath the hard top coat and once the heat of the engine was applied, it began hardening too fast and the gases tried to escape, causing your bubbles.

Thats probally what happened. It was a little hot and humid so thats probally where i messed up.

Well i'll try cleaning it with carb cleaner and gas. and then go buy some more paint or something. Hopfully it will come out better the next time. And i'll try that clear coat the ham suggested.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, that's all you did man, didn't wait long enough.

Keep in mind, I did mine in Kansas in like July. VERY HOT.

I still let it dry at least 45 minutes each coat, then for about 3 hours between the ground and color, then about 3 or 4 before I reinstalled it.