DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Underdrive Pulley

Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Not nessecarily Redz, I installed the same ones that alex installed, and the belts he recommended were way to short for me.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Yeah, but he may have had the other pulleys too. Or other different factors.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

anyone installed JSpeed pulley? what size belt did you use?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

oh i guess i should update this thread to maintain my reputation and to gloat cool.gif .

nana.gif I was right nana.gif

Just recently I did selina's (swifttiburon) underdrive pulley and used the same crank pulley (OBX) and my belt sizes were not way too small, they worked just fine but, if anything the bigger belt (34") could have been a little smaller; getting a 33" belt would be best. The back belt should be a 32" ideally as i recomended in the first post, although i do now have the absolute highest and lowest belt sizes you can run.

for the outside belt the absolute smallest belt you can use is 32" (tough as hell to get on but you can do it like a bicylce chain) and 34" would be the biggest you could run but if the temp drops below freezing you may get some squeaking, As i said 33" is ideal. For the inside belt the lowest you could run is 31" and the biggest would be 32.5, but just get a 31.5 and make your life easier.

The thing that worried my about MK3 saying my belt sizes are wrong is where he was responding to redz comment of maybe he had used a different brand pulley he said " I installed the same ones that alex installed" notice he used ones, plural. I only installed the crank pulley as i stated on my first post.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata

good info fing02.gif

now is obx pulley the same size as JSpeed pulley (sold @ kspec.com) ??
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 PM

so a rd1 base coupe w/o ac would make this easier because there would only be one belt? havnt looked.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM

Clif, makes sense but i wouldnt be able to guarentee it as i havent spent time around a/c-less RD1's. Tear the tire shroud off and check your stock crank pulley. if there is no belt on the back half (inside- toward the engine) of the pulley then yes your right.

and about the J-speed, youd need to ask redz, ive never seen it before.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

you could just run w/o ac to get a little power that's what i'm doing. i have the OBX pulley. it's not bad for what it is. smoother idle better top end.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:18 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Clif, makes sense but i wouldnt be able to guarentee it as i havent spent time around a/c-less RD1's. Tear the tire shroud off and check your stock crank pulley. if there is no belt on the back half (inside- toward the engine) of the pulley then yes your right.</div>

yup, just one. when i went to check i realized that without the a/c there, i was able to just look down throught the gaping hole behind the engine next to the passenger side strut tower. this is good, that will make installing easier when i get it at the end of summer.

one question, since it is always connected, the ac robs power all the time, not just when its on right?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM

some when not on because it still turns the pulley. But alot more when on. I remember when selina's car was all stock you had to turn the A/C off if you really wanted to get going lol