DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy = Changing Fuel Filter

Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^yeah i guess that's another Rev A discovery!

HAHA oops, i've never ever changed it! that means i have to change the elantra too. what happens to the old one, does it clog up? worse performance? i'll probably do it every 80,000 miles haha. infact, this one has been on the car since assembly at 130k, and my dad's 150k. whooops.

that's assuring, hopefully tomorrow i'll get my 19mm and do the job right without doing a sexy bikini fuel pouring all over my sexay body music video. yumyum.gif
Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

When a filter gets full of junk it's harder to push stuff through it. Your fuel pump works harder and your engine output suffers. If it clogged completely I suppose you'd have rough (if any) running.

I didn't do anything to my fuel pump, but then again I sprayed gas everywhere when I disconnected the lines from the filter sad.gif , so it's all what you are willing to tolerate.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I didn't do anything either. I just put a rag around the line. and when it started to drip, i put a drip pan under it... it only dripped a small bit though.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:23 PM

good DIY, and thanks for the help pals. I didn't have to unplug my fuel pump at all. I just did what you told me, let it sit overnight, actually it sat for 30 hours. couple drips of fuel, i didn't even need a rag or to clean it up.

my "old" fuel filter is different though. it's heavier, and has a gadget inside. possibly another Rev A distinction: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Some filters have a spring-loaded bypass, however, that allows fuel to bypass the filter element if it becomes clogged. Fuel continues to flow, but it may carry dirt to the carburetor or injectors, which can create additional problems.</div>

who the heck said changing fuel filters once per year. change it every 10 years...
Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 AM

So I looked up the prices on the filters for Tiburon and Elantra. The Elantra one costs $23 and the Tiburon one costs $11. Anyone know why? Certainly looks like the same part to me.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Might be the same thing with the $75 kia sportage MAF and the $200 Tiburon MAF. They are the same thing. I'm running a sportage MAF. Same part number. You just have to pay the extra money for the Hyundai logo.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Thanks REDZMAN for doing all the typing - I was just about to redo this DIY but found yours already done. There are a couple of new notes from a different perspective (no CAI, stock air box on my car) and a couple of less-blurry photos in the new, just-updated original post.