DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy = Changing Fuel Filter

Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I never thought of relieving pressure that way.
Thats a good write up.
Now i know the proper way of doing it next time.
Thanks Redz
Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrikeEagle @ Nov 11 2008, 01:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have two big bolts holding mine down in the back. I can't lift it up far enough to get at the fuel pump, and to remove those bolts I also have to remove the seat backs...</div>

Hehe, I didn't need to, I used a socket and an extension and stuck it between the seat and the backs to get to those bolts. Was very easy (might need to be more careful if you have leather seats tho).
Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StrikeEagle @ Nov 10 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I have two big bolts holding mine down in the back. I can't lift it up far enough to get at the fuel pump, and to remove those bolts I also have to remove the seat backs... It's a pain, but it's sooo much better having no pressure when messing with the fuel lines.
Is mine strange with those bolts? Could I permanently remove them next time I'm in there?</div>

You can lift it that high, the seat bottom is flexible, if I can do it on my car, and we have the same car, you can do it too. Just pullup on the edge till it pops loose, then PUSH it up, it'll go up. Hold it up with your head and do the rest, only takes about 30 seconds or so.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

thanks for diy the top apporach worked better for me
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I've always found it easier to remove the fuel pump fuse, start the car and let it run out of gas.

As far as the PITA part... for me, it was never about the location of the filter. In my '96 Elantra, the fittings were damn near welded to the filter. It took me 2 days of spraying with WD40 and trying to bust them loose before it broke free. Problem is you can't put too much umph into it or you'll twist the line.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:05 AM
AcN

changed my fuel filter yesterday.

Did this without jacking up the car, nor removing a tire (i'm kinda skinny laugh.gif)

I just ripped the skin on my right front arm ^^

Anyway, great DIY, thanks Red !! laugh.gif

P.S. : if anyone has a friend working as a mechanic at the airport, go ask him something like WD40... I had some "Knock'er Loose"... Since I tried this, i REALLY think WD40 sucks.... (5 times cheaper - it was like 1.37€ per can ^^ and 100 times faster, can't be bad)
Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I can bearly fit my hands up in there with the car above my head. That's crazy that you were able to do it with the car on the ground. Do you have inner fenders? Either way, here's a gold star for you
Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 AM
AcN

haha, i did it, but i guess i'll hire a dwarf with long arms and small hands next time (seriously, putting back the 2 long bolts in the bracket is a pain in the ass haha, that was the part where my arm got scratched xD)

what do you mean by inner fenders ?
you got bassist hands or ? laugh.gif

i had less than 2 inches clearance above me, but i guess the next time will be harder with the new coilovers and short springs xD

the worst part was i had do to this in the street with people thinking you're dead under the car xD (welcome to paris laugh.gif)

okay, i saw what the inner fenders were on other threads (i'm gonna install some gauges soon so...), and they were there xD

crawled under the car and made the job, got on the top to unscrew and pull the filter (it fell off my hand anyway, "Knock'er Loose" is way too slippery laugh.gif ), hurt my arm when i got a phone call trying to reach my cell phone in my pocket.

I just wish i had some Dr Pepper... they don't sell that crazy addictive drink in France, that really sucks... (there's a scottish grocery where they import that for 6€ per bottle woohoo xD ripoff laugh.gif)
Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

ok i don't know what this unplugging the fuel pump is all about because my car will not start with the fuel pump unplugged.

what is the benefit of this DIY?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ wow, your car must be really special that way tongue.gif

benefit? it's not a mod, the fuel filter should be changed as part of standard maintenance

Actually, if you don't run the engine for a while, the pressure goes down by itself, probably leaks back through the pump when it's off. So you can just let your car sit overnight and you won't need to disconnect the pump. I have a fuel pressure gauge and it shows 0 psi after a while while engine off