DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Car Wont Take In Fuel At Gas Pump

Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have never had a cel for anything evap related but i have this problem. i cleaned out my pcv and it works fine, and "burped" the gas tank and hoses (they weren't terrible, but i didnt have time to replace everything today) and went to get gas a little later and it seems like it kicks off even sooner now. Is it strange not to have the cel?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

so the quick fix didn't end up workin spidey?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 AM

does having a bad pcv valve also make your car flooded and not want to start right away after you fill up with gas?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 PM

it did not fix it but i left to try and get gas right away, and probably didn't leave enough time for my evap canister to evaporate enough. i'm not sure. next time i get gas we'll see how it goes, if not i'll probably have to take it all apart and really fix it haha
Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

^^01flamingtiburon: Yes, it will, since the fumes essentially flood out the motor. I've always had a hard time starting the car right after filling up. The only thing more embarrassing than having to take 20 minutes to fill your car up is barely being able to start it afterwards.

^Spidey Shark: I'll let you know about that. I'm up to 80 miles since I did the work and still no CEL, but I haven't gone to fill up yet. I'll try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:53 PM

jmans could u reiterate the CEL part again.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:36 PM

the second time i tried pumping gas it was TERRIBLE. kicked off about every 6 seconds. unbelievable. so i'm working on it again trying to figure out what i made worse. hopefully this time i can actually fix it.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

Same here! I've been having an even rougher time at the pump since I replaced my purge valve and checked the lines. The only thing I didn't do was run compressed air through the lines, since I don't have a compressor. Maybe that was what I missed?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM

then i doubt it is the purge control valve since yall have replaced yalls & still have the same problem. i took mine off & put electricity to it. i could hear the solenoid click & click over & over again each time i put juice to it so mines is working fine im guessin. previously months ago i checked out my evap canister. charcoal looked fine. only thing i have left to do that's recommended in this diy is apply voltage to the electrical connector near the evap canister & listen for solenoid activity. did yall do that yet? is there any other purge valve between the tank & the metal shell of our cars?

spidey shark. i aslo still have this problem with no cel. so i'm not thinkin it's that strange.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM

i worked on mine again and this is what i did:

1. Took off pcv in front. checked it again, and it works.
2. took off the evap canister, and the valve on that as well.
3. blew compressed air into the gas tank tube
4. blew air into the smaller tube that goes to the pcv at the front
5. on the bigger tube opening on the evap canister i blew air into it while covering the smaller one, and let all the fumes out of the charcoal through the opening that says "air" (connects to the valve attached to the canister)
6. blew air through both tubes where the pcv attaches in the front.
7. let the canister sit for about an air to make sure everything was out of it.
8. reattached everything, went to get gas, and no problems fing02.gif

i wrote this in a hurry so if anyone has questions just ask