The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

My Car Crashed

Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blacktibby @ Mar 20 2008, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Man i feel you pain.. it sucks.. My jeep rolled down a hill one time when i forgot to leave it in gear. It can be fixed though remeber!! Atleast it didn't hit anyone or hurt anything else.</div>

you're totally right! it can be fixed. Man, I dont' even wanna think of the problems if it had killed someone, God forbid, or damaged another car. So, yeah, it could've been worst!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Mar 20 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Haha, good luck suing the company man, their system didn't have the problem so much as you did. Common sense would tell you to not start your car with it in gear, and I don't think they sold you common sense.</div>

well, it does say, "for manual transmissions". It's fail-safe. Think about it. It will only allow you to remote start it if you manage to leave the car and close the door with the engine still running. And we all know that the only way you can do that, is if it's in neutral. So it shouldn't remote start in any other way!

I'm throwing that alarm away! I'm thinking of getting a reliable brand-name. I'm not getting one with a remote start, again. Reason being that these things are made of circuits and electronics, and they *CAN* fail, as did for me!!! Even if it says, "for manual transmission", electronics can fail!

I'm feeling a bit better now. Saturday morning I'm leaving 1st thing and leave it at the body shop.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dude, sorry for your loss, but again, the system might not have worked 100% but the failure lies with the user who shut the car off in such a way that he KNEW the safety wouldn't engage and then started the car while it was in gear.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM

can you guys tell me the logic behind the car driving off on its own? Now that I think about it, I'm curious. Wouldn't it stall? And if it didn't stall, wouldn't it drive off at like 5km/h or something? My car must have hit the cement wall at like 40km/h.

Why does it drive off and does it actually accelerate? It makes no sense to me.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Caj, lay off of him.. He says the system is designed so as not to start unless you left the engine running when you closed the door. That is the safety feature of the system, and it failed. If I understand correctly, "Safe mode" means safe to start the car. It was not in safe mode, it shouldn't have started, and this feature had worked before. So he KNEW the system should NOT have started.

fury, I'm kinda wondering about that too.. was the handbrake on? How does the starting mechanism work? For how long does it engage the starter? The starter motor can be pretty powerful, i guess it could make the car go fast enough to crash like that..
Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

first gear cruise with no clutch and no foot on the gas will get you rolling down the road at about 10-15 mph easily, and since your car started with the clutch out it probably popped at first making it go into first with some jump. If you ever try to drive with no gas petal you can just pump your clutch a little and get moving and actually drive at idle speeds as long as you don't brake.
As for the lesson, it sucks to learn it such a way but I think it would be a good thing to always leave your Parking Brake fully engaged. I know everyone calls it an e brake or emergency brake but it really is our parking brake. Also I would make it a habit to never leave a car in gear. I never understood why people do this, why would you ever want friction on your gears to be your cars brake? That again is why they give us Parking Brakes.
It sucks what happened no matter what and I'm sure ya smacked yourself enough for it so just get the fix done and get it behind you man. Sorry it happened man and hopefully you get it back together without it costing too much.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

man i'm glad you have learned alot from the site. but if you seriously go out and put another remote start on your car then you deserve it.

they are not for manual cars, because they can do what happened to you. why dont you learn from the mistake and NOT put a remote start on your 5spd. you have to get in the car to drive it away so why not just start it when you get in it, then you wont have your car running into walls.

THE ALARM ISNT FAULTY, are you insane??

YOU started YOUR car when YOU left it in gear, so when did the alarm stop working in that line of events???
Old 03-21-2008, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Guys, they do make them for manuals and make you go through a routine to be able to remote start it. The computer did not see this routine obviously so it should not have started. Not like the company will do anything but it was a problem with the module.

They make remote start systems specifically for manuals.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 PM

Yah, sorry man that sucks, but I have to agree with Capn Tibs, E-break should be the first thing you use once you park, then leave it in gear if you like doing that. Even if it coulda started, which sorry to say in your case it did, it wouldnt go anywhere with the E-break on. But on the brighter side it give you a new reason to do some appearence mods! fing02.gif

offtopic.gif When I got my tib i also learned how to drive stick on it so, the first day I got it I stalled it like a million times cuz I forgot the E-break was on. lmao.gif
Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

When I first read the title I was thinking "No, YOU crashed your car, the car didn't crash itself..."....Man was I wrong. lmao.gif

Sorry to hear about your luck. If I'm understanding your system correctly, the alarm should have recognized that the vehicle was not in a safe state to start, and rejected the start command. Maybe try and find a system that the car will only start in neutral.

And as for the car driving off....I don't see how it could have happened with the parking brake on and not being able to accelerate.....was it on a hill? And was it running when you got to it?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:03 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Mar 21 2008, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Caj, lay off of him.. He says the system is designed so as not to start unless you left the engine running when you closed the door. That is the safety feature of the system, and it failed. If I understand correctly, "Safe mode" means safe to start the car. It was not in safe mode, it shouldn't have started, and this feature had worked before. So he KNEW the system should NOT have started.

fury, I'm kinda wondering about that too.. was the handbrake on? How does the starting mechanism work? For how long does it engage the starter? The starter motor can be pretty powerful, i guess it could make the car go fast enough to crash like that..</div>

absolutely! it just shouldn't have started.

I ALWAYS use the handbrake. It was engaged! And it's working fine too. I have a brand new driver side parking brake cable put on in January. In fact, when I saw what had happened to the car, I opened the door, a LOT OF SMOKE coming out from inside the car (becuase the air bags had deployed), I could barelly see inside, and there was a witness and he was like, "was your parking brake on", and that's why I opened the door, and YEAH, it was on! That's why I was asking you guys how could it be possible for the car to drive off on its own.

The starter is only supposed to engage for 1- 2 seconds. It's pretty instantaneous. Teh remote starter starts the car just as if I had started it (ie. once I hear the engine turning, I stop cranking). Hummm, makes me think, could it be that the alarm processor's circuit was messed up that even the starter engaging time was altered (ie. it applied the starter infinitely or for like 20seconds, you know)???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (capn tibs @ Mar 21 2008, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>first gear cruise with no clutch and no foot on the gas will get you rolling down the road at about 10-15 mph easily, and since your car started with the clutch out it probably popped at first making it go into first with some jump. If you ever try to drive with no gas petal you can just pump your clutch a little and get moving and actually drive at idle speeds as long as you don't brake.
As for the lesson, it sucks to learn it such a way but I think it would be a good thing to always leave your Parking Brake fully engaged. I know everyone calls it an e brake or emergency brake but it really is our parking brake. Also I would make it a habit to never leave a car in gear. I never understood why people do this, why would you ever want friction on your gears to be your cars brake? That again is why they give us Parking Brakes.
It sucks what happened no matter what and I'm sure ya smacked yourself enough for it so just get the fix done and get it behind you man. Sorry it happened man and hopefully you get it back together without it costing too much.</div>

10-15mph. Yeah, I can believe that. But it looks as if my car hit at like 25-30mph. In fact, when I got there, the car was about 4 feet away from the cement wall. So it hit and bounced back about 4 feet. And yes, I swear in my mother's grave, the parking brake was on. I always leave it on! The guy who saw this happen also saw that the parking brake was engaged.

I heard the noise at around 150 feet away. Have you guys ever heard one of those 12' by 7' steel boxes people use for carrying construction waste? When the truck drops that off at a site, it makes this loud banging noise. That was the noise I heard. At that point, my alarm went off and I quickly thought, "damn, there must be a construction truck nearby and my alarm is too sensisitive; I'm gonna lower the sensitiviy".

For sure, capn_tibs, I've already got a list of windshield places. That's the 1st thing on Saturday morning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (optimoprime @ Mar 21 2008, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>man i'm glad you have learned alot from the site. but if you seriously go out and put another remote start on your car then you deserve it.</div>

Read my previous post, "I'm throwing that alarm away! I'm thinking of getting a reliable brand-name. I'm not getting one with a remote start, again. Reason being that these things are made of circuits and electronics, and they *CAN* fail, as did for me!!! Even if it says, "for manual transmission", electronic".

I'M NOT GETTING ANOTHER REMOTE STARTER. Screw that! Like I said, even if it says, "for manual transmission", circuits can fail (as did with me!)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rixshark @ Mar 21 2008, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe try and find a system that the car will only start in neutral.

And as for the car driving off....I don't see how it could have happened with the parking brake on and not being able to accelerate.....was it on a hill? And was it running when you got to it?</div>

Find another system? No way, man! Like I said, curcuits fail. It's only a matter of time before the mechanism which determines whether it's in neutral, or not, to fail. How about environmental factors such as high humidity or extreme cold? Who the heck knows if that can affect a circuit?

No, it wasn't on a hill. It's a flat parking lot. No, when I got to it it was no longer running. There was just a lot of smoke coming out from inside the car (because of the air bags), and a bit of smoke coming from the engine (because of the coolant leak.

The parking brake was engaged.

So was it or not possible for the car to drive off to a speed of about 25 - 30mph (approximatley 40km/h) in about 30 feet of road/pavement, with the parking brake engaged, on a 1st gear?