Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Drift / Spinout Problem

Old 10-09-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines manual, so when i did spin i had the clutch punched in, it woulda been horrible if I didnt.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: car

Regardless... You shouldn't be sliding that much. I'll take some pictures of my old tires (still in my garage). I was past bald, the metal belts are exposed. I VERY rarely if ever "drifted" or slid out. You are driving like a complete asshole, or don't know how to drive stick and are trying to act like you can, so you are driving like a complete asshole. Lay off the gas Mario Andretti, it's a FWD tiburon...

Oh, and I just decided to take a pic.

Like I said, my tires were worse than bald, and I didn't slide.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM

^+1 What the hell are you thinking driving like that around other cars? Don't kill someone just because you want to try and drift in a Tib. Take it to an empty parking lot or something.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

it's nothing to do with suspension. it's your tires. haha bliz, my sister's tires looked exactly like that. those ecsta 711 wear out fast but they damn last.

she was complaining about the same thing.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM

ummmmmm, get new tires and a couple driving lessons........
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM

ok.. couple of things..

it is VERY possible to drift a FWD car.. maybe not like how they show in the D1 series with the rear wheels all but on fire from all the spinning they are doing, but if you can kick the rear of your car out without going into a spin.. that is technically a drift. Stop swallowing everything D1 and Initial D tell you.

As from the Wiki..

Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motor sport involving the use of the technique. This article deals primarily with the sport. A car is said to be drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right), and the driver is controlling these factors.

Also, I have discovered (the hard way) that our tibs are not only very well balanced for a front driver, but that they are also very prone to bad bahviour when riding on worn out (or near wornout) tyres. Fresh rubber and remembering NOT to take your foot off of the throttle (not even to shift) will go a long way to keeping your car pointed in the right direction
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks Mad, as for everone else im not trying to do it on purpose, it just happens, if anyone has ever tryed to leave a college campus at rush hour they whould know that you have to be a jerk of cut some peopleoff of u ever want to get home. And as for the other time I spun it was turning onto my road right after it rained and no one was around. I am very aware of the consequences of my actions, hitting someone or something would be the last thing i want, it would mean most likely the end of my tib and me ever driving again.

OK heres what is on my car, it came with two different tires. up front i have:

Falken- Ziex Ze512's- 195/55R15 85V M+S

Traction rating-A
temperature rating-A

And in the rear i have Yokohama Avid T4's

P195/55R15 84T

Just to give your guys a visual and to try my frist picture post.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Ya, your tread should still be good. Thats the thing with having 2 different types of tires. I have ziex 512s all around, and with the tire pressures set for autox - 45psi front and 40psi rear - the back breaks free just a little bit.

I would say double check your tire pressure - maybe try and add 2-3psi in the rear (bring it up to 32-33 psi) and see if that helps.
It all depends on what tires you have.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM

yah ill try that also, i think im at 32psi all around, but i gotta wait for the tires to be cold to check.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Nex

how easily does it happen? at what speed? you tires look like they have more than enough thread to hold on to the road. maybe you're over doing it and pushing it to hard around corners.