Vehicle Showroom This forum is for you to post up images of your car, if you do not want to use the Gallery. You can upload directly from your posts or use Imageshack to host files.

My Very Own Tib Project

Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

Alright, let's start this saga off with a little backstory.

I'm not big into imports, front wheel drive scares me a little, and big mufflers make me cringe. Up until now my main automotive experience has been with domestic rear-wheel drive monsters. My prior two vehicles have been an '84 Z28 and a '95 Mustang, if that gives you any idea. I'm not a snob about it, I don't rag on imports and I pay more attention to 1/4mile times than I do reputations, but the import world was just not something I wanted to dip my feet into. So naturally, given all this, I didn't expect to find myself owning a Tiburon. Little did I know...

A friend of mine at work had a tib and was about to get into a new car, he needed $500 for the down payment. I'd looked at his tib before, it looked alright, so a quick KBB check told me all I needed to know. Two days later the tiburon was mine. I named her Veronica, threw a car cover on her, and waited until I had the money to get started. Here are the pics I took before I got to work

Here she is.

A decent engine bay shot. Notice where they tried to JB Weld a crack in the radiator?

A cracked windshield

Missing the fuel door.

The back doesn't look too bad

Dent #1

Dent #2

Dent #3

Door handle's in rough shape

Front bumper isn't exactly on anymore.

The interior was bad, and I mean bad. These pics are <u>after</u> I pulled an entire 45 gallon trash bag worth of shit out of her.

The interior panel was off, apparently the window regulator went out and they halfway tried to fix it.

The power steering was out when I got it, a quick peek under the hood revealed why:

So that's how I got her. No power steering, no interior lights, driver side window was shot, massively cracked windshield, a passenger door that didn't fully close, just all sorts of problems. I sure had my work cut out for me. I started things off with a $700 order to rockauto for everything from brake rotors to fog lights. If I was going to drive it, it was going to need some TLC. My final goal was to get a nice looking, nice driving car out of the deal. The idea was to fix it back to as close to stock as I could get it, and then decide if I wanted to mod it from there. Next post will cover my progress up to today.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

good luck man, looks like you got your work cut out for you...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I can see why you were hesitant ini wanting to do anything to her man.

Remember, rice is in the eyes of the beholder, you can have a good looking, good performing car, with little to no rice. My muffler looks mostly OEM, if you check out pics you'll see a lot of very tastfully done cars here.

And some very UNTASTFULLY done ones.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Damn man that looks pretty bad. At least you seem to know what you are doing, plus you are doing the auto to manual swap.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon 5spd

^^

Yeah, it's gonna be a long haul, but this isn't my first rodeo, I'm pretty comfortable with all the work I'm getting to so far.

As for RED's comment, I'm definitely seeing the distinction the more I look around the boards. I'll throw up a new post with progress pics later today.

Alright, the work thus far.

First thing was first, once 90% of my parts were here, I pulled her into the garage and detailed the interior. I don't have any good pics of that but i'll get one next time I'm working on her.

A nice parts shot:

Next up we got the old regulator out, and it looked pretty much like a fishing accident.

The difference between my old regulator assembly and my new one:

I got the new one from FourGreen via ebay, great seller, major thumbs up.
Just for reference, I was getting the mileage in this pic:

Then we got into it, every part that was pulled was cleaned and all removed bolts were labeled.

Got the old radiator out here

Took out the radiator and coolant reservoirs along with the power steering line

And then tragedy struck. I got down to drain the remaining fluids and replacing the AT filter when I pulled the pan and found exactly what I didn't want to find.

It's blurry, but that's a close up of the interior of the drain pain, and that's what's left of a roller bearing. This was bad, and I needed to regroup before I went any further. That's when this thread was born. A little bit of convincing by some other members got me to decide on an auto to manual swap (which I wanted all along, I just couldn't find enough excuses for). So we got everything unhooked and ready.

And then I pulled the entire transaxle at once.

Next I got the engine up on my stand

And bid the old auto-tragic a fond farewell on it's way to a salvage yard

In it's place, I brought home a transmission out of an 04 elantra with only 19k miles on it. Meanwhile, my other thread was paying off for me, Tibbychick pulled most of the swap parts I'd need for me, and they're en route to me right now. There's still stuff I need though, so if anyone has em, talk to me!

Obligatory engine bay pic: fing02.gif

Followed by a solid cleaning of the engine

And that catches you up on my work so far. I've still got to detail the engine bay and finish replacing engine components before I get it all ready to go back in. Good news is my spring break starts monday, and I got the week off of work too. Expect to see a lot of work done during that time.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

your friend took pretty bad care of it but you're doing a great job putting it back together. keep it up, you should boost it.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

hey, there is another RDT member near you . redshark tiburon lives in springdale. I dont know how mechanically savvy he is but you may have some free labor there in another member.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

felpro gaskets will crack your valve cover before they seal. get some better valve cover gaskets.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Cool dude, glad my tib will be living on in another. My tranny ran strong for the 3 years I drove it, never ever had any issues with any of the tranny parts. So you'll be good to go with my parts at least.

Also, may I suggest that you put in some Redline MT-90 tranny fluid. Its the best you can get.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DTN @ Mar 18 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>felpro gaskets will crack your valve cover before they seal. get some better valve cover gaskets.</div>

I put a felpro gasket on mine when I got it and now its been off and on several times. It seals without any leaking or cracking.