USA - Midwest/Central USA - Midwest members here.

2009 Abq Bbq - Ideas And Planning Thread!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, I've been contemplating this for some time, and after a positive response in the shoutbox discussing this with members that have been there, we are going to try something different for the 2009 ABQ BBQ.

Usually, we have this during the first weekend of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. It's a spectacle for everyone to see, but for sure, it takes up so much time that we sleep for every extra second we can.

While you are all welcome to still come out for the Fiesta if you want, the above, combined with the fact that I am moving about 30 miles south of where I live now, really make it a EARLY day, meaning we would either have to get hotel rooms in Albuquerque or get up at 4 AM to get up there in time.

That's not practical.

To make this more of a weekend about US, and our cars, I want to do this earlier, while warmer.

Ideas that have been put on the table.

1. Everyone meets up in Red River NM, up near taos. This is mountain country, we can rent a couple of cabins, 8 to 12 people per cabin, for like $150 a night.

2. Everyone meets up in Albuquerque or Los Lunas NM. We go on a couple of group drives, great picture sites, and have the BBQ.
a. In the mountains.
b. At my place.

3. #2 above, with one group drive, and a day at the track.

Now, #3 would be great for me, but we aren't talking a 1/4 mile track. That's boring as hell, I'm talking an autocross track. This one would require some registration money from everyone to have the track to ourselves. I can find out how much this will cost, but we looked before and I think it was maybe $600 to $900 for the WHOLE DAY. Thta would give us pretty much unlimited drive time on a REALLY fun track to drive.

We could also instead go to the 1/4 mile track if it is still open, but we would have to deal with locals and their cars.

I'm up for ideas, suggestions, everything. I need you to post suggested dates, as so far we've been talking about mid to late September.

We'll let this run for a month, get the ideas together, and then vote on them as a group.

Again, it's pretty much either we do this, or the ABQ BBQ dies folks. I'd like to get someone that has the time to PM this thread to everyone that attended over the last 2 years, and I will get this out in a site email in the next week.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Well, if you do an earlier date, I will be sure to come out this year. Probably drive the tib out. Every year in the past I had my expo to run the same weekend of the ABQBBQ.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM

Take a look at a calendar and tell me when is good for you. We'll start working out some firmer dates so others can start planning.

I'd LOVE to get a good deal of schwag to hand out in a raffle like I did last time.

IDEAS FOLKS!

BTW, Hotel rooms will be much cheaper farther away from the Balloon Fiesta in date for SURE. Some of the other locals may volunteer space at their places, but I won't do it for them. Considering one has a HUGE place and I will be living in the same town, we can probably house everybody.

Hell, we'd have enough time where I could probably setup a car show at one of the Hyundai dealerships for us.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Any other events going on in August or September?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

assuming im still going to be involved this year...

i could also try to get some things for a free raffle. would be along the lines of custom CAIs, built from the parts i can get. or even pitch in for the other raffle stuff.

i say we have the BBQ on the mountain. me, you, AJ could each bring some stuff so you and marla don't have to buy/bring everything.

#2, more driving, no track time imo. some people wont wanna race, and would rather do another cruise.

i can be a place to stay for 1-2 people if needed. although, if most people are in Los Lunas, people may not wanna be that far from the majority of people.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

you already know my opinion, just choose the dates.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM

Can you post your opinions here though AJ? I don't remember, and it'll help others.

Also, you open for holding a few folks if it comes to that?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would love to come down. Would also love to have some track time but I would be afraid to break anything so far from home. This is all assuming the next two months go as planned with my car.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

I would gladly house some folks that make it down for this.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (purpletib @ Feb 10 2009, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Any other events going on in August or September?</div>

Bernalillo Wine Festival for sure.

Hmm, we have a burning man type thing that happens around then up in Santa Fe.

I'll look and see what I can find.