Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What Do You All Think? Turbo Kit

Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Yes. the Autocraft shop. Every tool you could ever need. I usually just bring my own.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,
Basically the main goal is to make some turbo kits that are very reliable, and have a lot of room to upgrade in the future for those who decide to. I'm not entirely sure what the main differences will be between the stage 1 and stage 2 kit. Right now I'm making the stage 2 kit, then going to figure out what I can lower for the stage 1. I had wanted the main difference to be that one has the water/air intercooler system, and the other one does not. Since the water/air intercooler system is so expensive to make, it would drastically drop the cost of the kit. Only downside is that the big16g wastegate is set to 12psi, and I think that may be a bit too high to run without an intercooler (I ran 10-11psi on a td04-15t for a while with no intercooler and it ran fine, so who knows). Also the 18g and 20g turbos should bolt in to the exhaust manifolds I'm making no problem, and still have good clearances from things, so contemplating those as well.
Another thing I was thinking, was to use a 5th injector elbow in the stage 1, and the dual fuel rail kit in the stage 2, though the cost difference between them is actually not all that big, so just wanted to include the dual fuel rail kit with all turbo kits, plus its part of a good solid way of fuel management.
Also the kit should be compatable with many different engine bay compartments (e.g. tiburons, elantras, etc.) since most of the turbo kit bolts onto the engine, rather than the intercooler system wraping around the front of the vehicle.
The water intercooler core is a 4.5"x4.5"x12" with a 11 gallon per minute water pump circulating water. Suggesting that the turbo system will be operating at full power for at the most 15 seconds at a time, the water pump will circulate 2.75 gallons in that time period. You don't want the water to see the intercooler twice in that time period, so 2.75 gallon resivour is a good starting point. Taking into consideration the amount of volume of water lines, and the water heat exchanger, etc. The resivour won't have to be quite that big, but was thinking that it could either be located in drivers side fender well, or mount to the drivers side strut tower.
For now the downpipe curves under the oil pan then stops with a flange welded to it. I was thinking of supplying the equivelent flange in the kit as well so all you would need to do is get your exhaust system mated up with the downpipe. I was thinking of doing this since everyones exhaust systems are so different it would be difficult to have multiple downpipes to ship to fit each persons exhaust system (and since stock is what like 1.8" to 2" anyways) its highly unlikely anyone will keep the OEM exhaust system.
As far as the injectors go, I'm using 4x 290cc in the primary fuel rail, and 4x 460cc injectors in the secondary fuel rail, and have up to 24psi going through the motor and this supplies plenty of fuel. So was thinking for starters the kit could include 4x 290cc injectors in the secondary fuel rail, and keep the stock ones in the primary fuel rail. This will supply enough fuel for someone to bolt on the kit and run 12-15psi of boost no problem. Granted if someone was planning on running max boost out of the turbo they may want larger injectors and I can provide that on the website as an upgrade option.
Right now the main thing holding me back is getting a car to test all the parts on, and dyno tune a good map, so I can start getting some turbo kits out to people. Although I couldn't give someone a turbo kit, I could offer them a substantial discount, and I would install everything for free so no labor, mate up your existing exhaust, etc.
EDIT:
Also in reguards to the turbos, I just like mitsubishi turbos as they are both water and oil cooled turbos, so you don't have to use anything like a turbo timer with them, and also they are fairly inexpensive. If you look at say a garret super60, its a bit more expensive, oil cooled only, and a lot bigger of a turbo (??) than the TD05H-big16g, and that turbo can easily get you 400hp, plus it spools up quickly. Also with the water/air intercooler system, there is only like 2 feet of charge piping, which promotes a lot faster spool up times.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 PM

Anyone know where we can land our hands on a cheap Beta1 head? Just need the head, no cams or anything. Matt wants to make sure the dual fuel rail kits bolt up fine... smile.gif
Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I've got one sitting in my garage, you guys pay for s/h, it's yours. No cams, nothing else, just the head.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Sweet! Give me a shipping quote and I'll paypal ya the money! smile.gif
Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'll do it tonight if I can.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Here are a couple pics for ya:

Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM

looks like it was meant to be on there. Fits nicely.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM

The pics don't really do the manifold justice. Its made out of some really beefy bends. It will never break or crack, ever. Plus with the downward extension is snugs the turbo right against the block for maximum clearance. Should be zero fittment issues on an RD.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 AM

What was your process for welding the log manifold?