Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What about this turbo?

Old 07-31-2002, 04:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring
Default What about this turbo?

I got a great offer for a IHI Turbo from an 87-88 Ford Thunderbird. Will this work with our turbo manifold? Is it a T3 style? I don't know much about this brand that came with those year Thunderbirds. I do know however that it is watercooled and may be an IHI-52 model.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JonGTR:
Will this work with our turbo manifold? Is it a T3 style?
i didn't know SR had a turbo manifold to be called *our*?
Old 07-31-2002, 04:12 AM

I think what he means by ''our'' is a turbo manifold that will fit Tiburons smile.gif Who knows though, I have been known to be delirious
Old 07-31-2002, 04:16 AM

Ok, I mean the two that are out: Champion/KORE. The guy says it ran stock 15 psi.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:49 AM

I picked up a turbo off of a 87 Thunderbird, and it was a T3. I currently have it connected to my Accent, and it does do 15 PSI (the turbo that is). The main problem that I am having is trying to get the boost down lower so I don't blown this lil 1.6L in two .
Old 07-31-2002, 05:32 AM

I read somewhere that some of the 87's were Garretts and later that year changed to intercooled with IHI's.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:33 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

This is the exeption... the IHI turbo used on t-birds uses an exaust flange very similar to the regular garret flange,so yes it will bolt on to a t-3 manifold,flow will be partially blocked because the IHI turbo has a D shaped inlet a bit of porting with a dremel should take care of the bad shape

Denis
Old 08-01-2002, 12:13 AM

Denisst99:
This is the exeption... the IHI turbo used on t-birds uses an exaust flange very similar to the regular garret flange,so yes it will bolt on to a t-3 manifold,flow will be partially blocked because the IHI turbo has a D shaped inlet a bit of porting with a dremel should take care of the bad shape

Denis
And I just bought a professional dremel too.

Anything else I should know about this type? Any specs? I can't find any specs whatsoever. Everyone just has ?? in the spec spaces. rolleyes.gif Some people say the max psi is 18, some say 20.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JonGTR
I got a great offer for a IHI Turbo from an 87-88 Ford Thunderbird. Will this work with our turbo manifold? Is it a T3 style? I don't know much about this brand that came with those year Thunderbirds. I do know however that it is watercooled and may be an IHI-52 model.
What about that turbo you fvcking newb? What about me cramming my foot in your ass for even thinking about trying to add a junkyard turbo to your daily driver and wasting an enormous amount of time trying to determine how to get it mounted! You are a f*cking idiot for trying this. If you don't have the money to buy a decent turbo, then don't even start! You should've left your daily driver alone and pocketed the roughly $20k you spent on that POS.

Funny how only the Champion manifold (sold by KORE) was available at the time. The Alpine had to come with the kit. And oh how rare turbo building information was back then.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Um....wow! How about that for some internal reflecting Buddha sh1t! lmao

Here's one for you, I had the first GK Tiburon in the US running Alpine's POS Turbo kit with a Mitsu TD04-15T Turbo and their janky non-tuneable piggy back ECU and the WIE (Worst Idea EVER) decompression spacer plate. I did ALL their R&D for the GK and guess how much discount I got on the kit? LMAO

I actually paid more for the kit than people who bought the production ready one!

Oh and I co-signed on a Business Line of credit to help them relocate to Colorado where they lived off that line of credit for months and decided sell my Mustang Dyno out from under me and move back to South Africa without so much as a Fvck Off...