Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

S-AFC vs SMT-6

Old 01-23-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I think he meant the setup using the 4 injectors will be done on the weekend.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

The more and more I think and read about it. I agree with you.

banghead.gif
Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM

i have an smt6 basically its tuned via serial port on your laptop, you can program it for 2 different a/f maps and have switch connected to it to switch between the maps easily and on the fly. works great for using separate maps for juice or high boost vs daily driving boost lvl's.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (Speed-Factor)
I will be done with my SMT6 with 4 extra injectors by next weekend, as the new setup should be running by sat.

1. How do you setup the extra injectors?

2. Please do a bit of a writeup for us?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM

wow this post was a great laugh!!!

although i did not know that you could hook up a switch to change maps without the laptop, thats a pretty cool feature that i missed.

ive installed and road-tuned an SMT-6, its actually the first and only piggyback controller i have ever used. trust me its not rocket science. the only thing that really disturbed me was that although it had an input for oxygen sensor voltage, we had a PLX (bosch) wideband setup installed and it would only take the narrowband input, no way to plug the wideband reading into the SMT-6 02.gif 02.gif 02.gif

Perfectpower > Apex-I every day of the week. ive never even used an SAFC or the 'bigger and better' SAFCII but take the features and benefits of either of the 3 and the SMT6 ownz them all over the place. hell the SMT5 ownz the SAFCII and has been out for years. SAFC was only made to look cool and display what little it can do on a self contained screen. if the SMT came with a screen it would be a 7" LCD that would raise the price another few hunderd, plus the buttons and such to control it even more. theres only so much you can do with a few knobs and the SMT unit exceeds that by far.

good job tim! i also browsed the manual on hooking up 4 extra injectors but gave up after i couldnt even find a shop confident to weld in new bosses to cast aluminum. if my new MIG welder cant do it (to satisfaction) then ill probably use some epoxy. im VERY interested in how you set it up- i am going to assume the addl injectors fire in accordance with (and only under) boost pressure. also where you located them, i was thinking teh bosses would go somewhere near the end of the elbow in the runners on the bottom. if you put them on the top, nice squeeze but i wonder what the firing angle vs airflow is?!?!?!?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM

Hmm, no wideband? Couldn't you use that wideband conversion we were talking about?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN)
Hmm, no wideband? Couldn't you use that wideband conversion we were talking about?

nope because sensor can only handle temps up to 800C and it gets a lot high than that right at the exhaust manifold, so you wouldn't be able to put your sensor there.

there should still be wires that might be connected to the wideband itself and get reading off of it. I will try to work something out when I'll be installing my crap.

PS: redz did you get my PM, answer plz
Old 01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

you could use the narrow band output of your wideband unit (0-1 volt) and hook it up to the smt-6
but, 1 the narrow band output isn't accure like the wide band output
2 your wideband "logguer" should log faster then what the smt6 can
show you on the screen

btw if needed you could hook up the wideband to the smt6 so the smt6 would add or remove fuel in relation to it
Old 01-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Denisst99...

QUOTE (beppomarx)
ive installed and road-tuned an SMT-6, its actually the first and only piggyback controller i have ever used. trust me its not rocket science. the only thing that really disturbed me was that although it had an input for oxygen sensor voltage, we had a PLX (bosch) wideband setup installed and it would only take the narrowband input, no way to plug the wideband reading into the SMT-6

Is he wrong then?