Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

S-AFC vs SMT-6

Old 01-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-AFC vs SMT-6

i just wanted to know the differences between these two..
and opinions on which is better and advantages and disadvantages possibly.
thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 AM

Never seen / heard of the SMT-6, does it do the same thing as the S-AFC?

Edit: Decided to google it and found I guess the official site. Said you needed a laptop to tune it? Not sure if you need it every time or what not. I think the S-AFC looks better, and it has the digital display and all.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 AM

The S-AFC II only allows you to adjust fuel map.

The SMT-6 allows to tune AFR, ignition, drive an additionnal injector, control boost, etc.

The SMT is a much more complete piggy-back system than the S-AFC. Only tunable via a PC laptot however.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:51 AM

You could always put the eManage on your lost of options. All for all the eManage is the best piggy-back for N/A and Boosted. For boosted you can get the add on Profec e-01 and that is your boost controller.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

The SAFC is by far the better looking device, it has a little more tunability in relation to the fuel side of things (more rpm intervals I believe) But the SMT-6 and E-manage have a couple more options if you need/want to further the project.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The SMT-6 is little used because there is little use for it. Naturally aspirated, ignition, controlling an extra injector, etc. is unnecesary. SAFC controls fuel better, so its the better choice. Light PSI (5-8) you still don't need another injector, you don't need boost retard, etc. So the SAFC is once again a better choice. Mid-Range PSI (8-11PSI) is the only area where the SMT-6 is the best device. 12PSI and on you should be looking at a standalone because all the little problems with the Beta start becoming apparent, like that lean spot from 3500-4500 and the computer leaning out anyway no matter how much fuel you tell it to add.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:32 PM

The eManage allows you to incorporate both extra injectors (if you get the harness), Ignition (if you get the harness), Boost (if you get the profec e-01), and would allow you to by pass the 300 hp maf issue by geting the MAP sensor and harness kit so that you can bypass the MAF above its limit. The eManage is the closest you can get to a stand alone. The big draw back from a stand alone is no OB2, AC, the whole 9 yards without a lot of work.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM

I can't believe what I am reading!!!!!!

Are you guyz considering looks of the thing as a primary decision factor? If ou don't know what you are talking about, don't say that one option is better because it looks better....nice color, nice buttons....come on.

SMT-6 is a far better option than an saf-c especially that they are closely priced. Yes you need a laptop to tune it, too complex to display on a simple 3in square screen. It has far more reach than an saf-c. Yes it is of use on an n/a setup. Simply install agressive cams and you'll be glad to have it.

An eManage is also a good option

The safc is very popular and well known, it doen't mean it's the best and it doesn't mean there are no other option.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Of course is the price is way less than the SMT-6 is a good option. If I'm running 5PSI for instance, and 8PSI max, and the SAFC was 225 and the SMT-6 was 325, I would get the SAFC. All the little extra goodies aren't really needed at that level and the 150 is better put to a new 2.5inch exhaust for the turbo, or for overhauling the system before the install (plugs, wires, oil, etc). There is no need to pay extra for something that you won't use or are 80% sure you won't ever need.

If the same dillemma as above happened and I was thinking probably I might run 10PSI, then yes that is a good option. The extra SMT-6 options are not needed at 5-8PSI. Only fueling. And the SAFC does fueling better.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:55 PM

ah, but if you adjust timing on the stock ecu +/- 7 degrees or more, the ecu thinks there is a misfire, and will retard timing. the only way around this is a stand alone as far as i know. also, even n/a, the smt-6 could be a better choice because it would allow you to run more ignition advance (provided you use better fuel). you could throw one on a stock tib and see results from tuning. you can see results from an s-afc on a stock tib, too, but not as drastic because you can't touch the timing.