Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Project Under Way!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Well, its a base model 98 Tiburon with 42,000 miles on the odometer. I bought this back in November of 2006 and has been sitting for the past two and a half years. When I bought it off of the guy it was currently not running. I finally got it back to my garage this week for an extensive teardown and some much needed TLC. Here is the car as it sat when it came off the trailer yesterday.

I worked for about two hours tonight getting the intake manifold off and disassembling most of the engine compartment to gain access to what I need. After sitting for two years, the bolts on the car were abit rusted, but with some good hit from a hammer solved this problem. My biggest concern was the condition of the turbo. After inspecting it thoroughly, I was suprised to see zero shaft play and fresh oil and coolant in the proper lines.

As expected, most of the rubber lines will need to be replaced in the engine compartment from the previous turbo install. From this point on, tomorrow I plan on taking off the power steering, air conditioning, draining the oil, coolant, and starting to install my dual rail kit. Here are some pictures from tonight.

http://66.93.172.84/sean/RD%20Project/DSCN1600.JPG

Also, after finding some surface rust on the manifold and turbo. I will also be taking these components off to clean and send the turbo manifold off to Jet Hot for a good coating. Future parts waiting to be installed are:

MSD DISII
Perfect Power SMT6
Bosch 440cc Secondary Injectors

Thanks for looking, more updates to follow as time progresses.

04/05/07

Worked on the car for alittle over and hour today to get the power steering and air conditioning off. Most of this consisted of draining the freon from the line, and a shitload of power steering fluid everywhere. I'm happy with the space I have gained from losing these two systems in the car. I'm going to finish cleaning up some odds and ends to make room for the dual rail install and the MSD. Also, after getting a good look at the intercooler, I was happy to find it was not some small deal, which means I can run some higher numbers, which is what I wanted to do, and not worry about air temperature to much. Here are some pictures:

http://66.93.172.84/sean/RD%20Project/DSCN1614.JPG

http://66.93.172.84/sean/RD%20Project/DSCN1615.JPG
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

looking pretty sweet. That is gonna be an awesome car when completed.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

looks like a very worthy project! have fun!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Looks good man, keep up the work.

Also, how the hell was that downpipe not hitting the alternator? Maybe the pics are bad but I can't see how that system was set up.

Also where did you get the bosch injectors from?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that's the one from ebay from ohio right? i keep saying i hear it's one of the first turbo tiburons ever.

man that's sweet, engine bay looks like a lot of work but the sooner you get her done the sooner you'll hear the BOV. good luck and keep updating!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Looks good mang, get her purring nice.

also i changed three of your pictures to links because they were wayyyy to big....
Old 04-05-2007, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

Hey bro is that the 1 from ebay(his dad was selling it for him...the one you were telling me about?) Also Nov 06' wasnt 2 1/2 years ago lol.

If you need some help puttin her together just let me know, Id be happy to throw in an extra set of hands.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

I finished most of the wiring today. I bled the front brakes, made my injector wiring harness, finished up the SMT6 wiring, wired up the wideband and installed the dual rail kit. It's been coming along nicely, and I am hoping t have her running by next weekend. I need to go to the junkyard sometime this week and get a stock fuel rail and stock injectors.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 AM

wow, looking sweet. What is up with the valve cover? is it an old paint job?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Well, she is 90% complete. Over the weekend I went to Millerstown Pick-a-Part and got some much needed odd's and end's. I got my stock injectors, fuel rail, injector clips and some other stuff. The wiring has been finished but I double checked everything to make sure it was good and it was.

I also finished up the dual rail and the fuel system witht he return line. I got everything put on but stripped a bolt in the stock fuel rail, so I had to take it out and drill and tap it. After getting it back in, I repressurized the fuel system and checked for leaks. Much to my happiness, there were none. After I filled up the necessary fluids, I double checked everything and I was good to go. To make my story even better, she fired on the second crank, but would not idle. After some research I did not have the IAC plugged in, so after that she was and is where you see it.

Here are two video's I took of the start up, one is 32mb and the other is 18mb.

http://66.93.172.84/SEAN/RDRunning/DSCN1642.MOV

http://66.93.172.84/SEAN/RDRunning/DSCN1643.MOV