Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Evo engine in a tib

Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

QUOTE (hamhead)
In South America, labor is also very cheap compared to the U.S. Some people that may have moved to South America from America/Western Europe have an advantage. What costs $3000 for custom work here may only cost $500 there.

Yup. That's true. A friend of mine owns a shop here, and 5+ years experienced mechanics earn like $800 a month, the very best of them earn like $1200 to $1500 a month. Because body shops and performance shops rates are low, a good business is not a million dollar business.
Though, for the ones living here, with access to the US prices for parts, it's good (parts here can cost as much as 3-5 times as in the US, depending on the part, plus, there aren't any junkyards, everything here is reusable no one just throws their car or engine on a salvage yard).
I went to install my swaybars in the local Hyundai dealer, the price for the work was $55; because I know them and they know I'm a big Hyundai fan, it costed me only $40 for both bars, pretty good huh?
I am pretty sure those Tibs could be made by a local performance shop, we have quite a bunch of turboed Mazda's 323, Toyota all trac turbos, plenty of EVO's and Subarus (we got them here way before than you did in the US because emissions laws in SA are far less strict).
Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 AM

REAL Korea told me that they seen those engine swap in Thailand using used Evo 4g63, Nissan SRDET or RB26 in RD 1 and 2 Tiburon.

Evo wasn't conver to 4 wheel drive, but they used Evo III cost $5,000 to install in Thailand only. Yes, with the engine.

With same amount of labor and time in USA, this project should cost $1,5000.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

That was it, a car club in Thailand. I guess they didn't come stock with it. I thought that was what the guy said though.

A little searching brought me the thread I saw those pictures at before.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/forum/showthread....hlight=thailand

Now that I look at them, they look like different cars though.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Hyundai won most N1 class, but don't believe everything you hear from WRC, APRC, other racing even. Since most N1 class is not popular and have only 3 or less car to compete. Hyundai also made big advertisement in Korea introducing RD2 long ago with slogan of World Safari Rally winner which also had 2 car competition. lmao.gif

Nothing new there... always a way to bend the winnings to look better than they really were. Fiat, for example, raced the spider in what eventually became WRC... while it is considered an "also ran" compared to the Lancia Straos (as were most cars that competed against that awe inspiring car) The spider won quite a few races that the lancia didn't... and it outright won quite a few in some of the smaller races where it was the ONLY factory backed team....

still, win on sunday, sell on monday
Old 01-17-2005, 12:37 PM

QUOTE (2race4real)
They should export those car...except most car is still right hand drive in Thailand as I remember...

After the war with Japanese, they left with alot of right hand drive bus, truck etc, so they had to use same system as Japan still.

I went to see APRC Asian Pacific Rally in Thailand and supported Hyundai Rally Team.

Hyundai won most N1 class, but don't believe everything you hear from WRC, APRC, other racing even. Since most N1 class is not popular and have only 3 or less car to compete. Hyundai also made big advertisement in Korea introducing RD2 long ago with slogan of World Safari Rally winner which also had 2 car competition. lmao.gif

WRC? The only thing Hyundai has/had in WRC was the Accent, and that thing didn't win anything. And then there were the GK Tibs in SCCA...and from I've heard, they never made it to finish line sometimes...b/c the driver kept flipping it. smile.gif

However...RD Tibs did very well in the SCCA. Forgot how many they won. I know some of them were AWD. There was one turbo RD2 Tib (FWD) that won a different rally race. Quite amazing.