Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Evo engine in a tib

Old 01-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo engine in a tib

i know ppl gonna kill me for this question..
but why exactly is it so hard to fit an evo engine in a tib?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I won't, unlike some people around here I won't yell at ya and tell you to search.

Engines just don't drop in to a car. They are held by engine mounts, and engine mounts vary from car to car. Making custom mounts to make an engine fit can run $300.00. Some engines face completely the opposite way of the Tibby's engine (exhaust manifold out the back of the engine compartment) like the ones in early DSMs.

Another hard part of the Evo is that it is AWD. Tib is FWD, and is not meant for AWD. You can configure an AWD to FWD, but it runs into problems. Another reason many people don't do this swap. Converting the Tib to AWD means putting drivetrain to the back wheels, and a lot more custom work.

Obviously the Tiburon's ECU is not going to work with an Evo engine in it. Totally different. So you need to buy an ECU as well. More money.

Another hard part is trying to make all the wiring work and cooperate with the stock Tiburon's gauges and such. Your basically tearing the wiring of the car to pieces swapping in a new engine.
---------
All in all, a brand new Evo VIII engine or something similar, with ECU, transmission, etc. is going to run 3000-4000 dollars. Getting someone to do the work for you, highly recommended, is another few thousand dollars. 7,000 dollars for 220whp is a lot of money. You can make 220whp with the Beta engine for $2400.00 with a turbo, and the Beta is a good, strong engine in upwards of 600HP, so high horsepower reliability is not of concern.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

imagine an AWD tibby...ooooo...in all seriousness it would be like a work of art if somebody actually did all that...
Old 01-17-2005, 12:17 AM

There's pics I've seen on hp.com of a 4g63t in a RD, so it's definately possible. The car wasn't in the USA though. I also saw a pic of an sr20det in a tib. The 4g63t from the evo8 is facing the right way, but I wouldn't know where to start in what is involved in the swap.

Found the pics:

Old 01-17-2005, 06:22 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Those two pictures are from a car club in South America I believe. Apparantly the Tibs down there came with the 4g63t's. If I remember correctly that is.... tongue.gif:
Old 01-17-2005, 06:45 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

That's pretty crazy, tibs coming stock with 4g63's hmmmm......

Anyway, hamhead hit it right on. Basically the swap needs to merit either more power ouput or the possiblility of more power output. Then you take that and match it to the cost of the job. Let's just say you do this all yourself. Now this will include some monster-garage like metal skills plus the know-how to wire a different wiring harness.

Hondas are really the only cars that benifit from swaps like this. because most of the mounts are the same OR there are engine mount kits available in the aftermarket. We don't have that option yet, at least not that I know of.

Give it a try though you never know, it's really what you want to do. But cost vs gains doesn't look good. Spend that money on the Beta, it's a good engine.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 AM

QUOTE (alex01tib)
imagine an AWD tibby...ooooo...in all seriousness it would be like a work of art if somebody actually did all that...

There have been. They're called SCCA Rally Tibs. Get with the times people...AWD Tibs do exist. However, they do require a lot of money that you gotta be prepared to invest in. Though...with the money you spend on a DSM swap, you could have just as well bulletproofed your Beta, and turbo'd it...for less. 'course,...then you run into the whole problem with a 400+HP FWD car...you could run it at lower boost.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:54 AM

QUOTE (javageek)
Those two pictures are from a car club in South America I believe. Apparantly the Tibs down there came with the 4g63t's. If I remember correctly that is.... :p:

Java, I really doubt that is the case... Southamerican domestic markets are really little. In our worst years the total amounts of new units sold in a year, barely equals what a mid brand sells in the US IN ONE DAY!!!
The differences between the sizes in SA markets don't reflect the reality either, because in most cases there are large amounts of locally built units, with less taxes and so and so...
There isn't a Hyundai plant in any SouthAmerican country, so all Tibs are imported, and I find impossible for a brand to build a tiny percentage of units with a different power plant than that in their bigger markets.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

In South America, labor is also very cheap compared to the U.S. Some people that may have moved to South America from America/Western Europe have an advantage. What costs $3000 for custom work here may only cost $500 there.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 AM

I wish I could find the pics... I agree compleatly with what is above. There is a LOT to do with swapping an engine. Some cars need more than others.

Honda for example, there is a myriad of engine mounts and wiring modifications you need to do. Some swaps require you to lose power steering and air condition as the engine is that much larger in the engine bay of the car. (think Prelude 2.2 into a CRX)

In the 240SX, dropping the SR20 is is a wiring nightmare.

My own swapped car. The Fiat spider. I am using the stock block from a later model (a 2.0 instead of a 1.8) but to mount the head (just the head!) from the Lancia Delta Integrale, I needed to cut into the firewall and box it in a good four inches deeper than stock...

While the lure of dropping an already existing high performance engine into a car is a tempting proposition... it is harder work than most people are ready to do. It requires hard work, money, time, talent, and just a bit of luck (mine has been bad) to get it all done. MOST of the cars involved in a swap are never finished by the person who starts the project.. they usually get bored or frustrated and sell the uncompleated project to somebody who can finish it... or it goes to the salvage yard.