Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

What to do (a/f ratio ???)

Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL
Default What to do (a/f ratio ???)

Okay, here we go another fuel related question. Lately I've been trying to figure out how to control my a/f ratios. Here is the set up I have right now that I will be picking up tomorrow if all goes well.

Maintec Manifold (still have to pay for, tomorrow ppl promise)
14b turbo
DSM 1g BOV
2.5 Charge piping
FMIC
Basically what Dweet sold to me, minus his log sytle manifold which he still has for sale I believe. wink1.gif

Not the ultimate setup but enough to have some fun......methinks. With boost at 8psi, I'll be running about 284 cfm tops nowhere near maxing out the MAF. Plus add in pressure drops from the IC and Intake and I think she'll be fine. I know the MAF doesn't read boost but here is where I'm stuck, and need help.

For fuel my plan is to use a Vortech FMU to control fuel pressure as boost rises, and upgrade the injectors to compensate. Right now I'll need 340cc injectors to run the boost I would like, I think. I'm trying to stay away from the SAFC cause of the dip that I have been reading about. I'm leaning towards the SMT-6 or Emanage but I need to figure this out first. Am I in over my head here and need to get a piggy-back?or is this going to be fine. I am still unsure about the MAF and boost. This is where I need some input.

I know the SAFC is recommended but I don't see that as an option.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:31 PM

you will need a piggy back if you get bigger injectors, but you could just use FMU and be fine. You'd be rich, but always on the safe side smile.gif
Old 01-17-2005, 07:34 PM

See that's what I've been thinking. I know eventually I'll need a piggy-back. ANd money is not the issue, I personally don't want to deal with it yet, that's all. I may be wrong I just want to be sure that's all. And believe me you can be harsh, I am lost here right now.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:36 PM

as I told you, you'd be fine with just FMU and stock injectors, but once you will want to go over 8psi you will bigger injectors and something to control them with, a piggy back. And there is nothing wrong with SAFC smile.gif
Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM

I know there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe just cause it's all over the place. I dunno. So basically unless you mess with the injectors you won't need a piggy back?? The piggy-back controls the extra fuel that needs to be added?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:47 PM

yup, you got it right smile.gif
Old 01-17-2005, 07:52 PM

Thanks OP.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM

np, and feel free to PM or IM me whenever you got a question smile.gif
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeppers. You won't need the fuel controlling until after you start messing with larger injectors.

Remember however, 8PSI on a 14B is not 8PSI on a T3/T04E or 8PSI on a T88. The 14B is a factory turbo, and factory turbos are small. However, it is comparable to a T3 Super 60 in power output, but is a little bit stronger. I think Tim based his 8PSI on stock fuel off of a T3 Super 60, so starting at 8PSI is probably too much for the stock fuel system.

I would think 7PSI is a safe limit for stock injectors with that particular turbo. The blow-off valve your running won't hold more than 15PSI, just so you know if you ever get that high. smile.gif

Overall, your setup is safe and reliable. You'll be running a tad rich, but better rich than lean. The FMIC @ 7PSI with a 14B should be more than safe. DSMs come stock from the factory @12PSI.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:59 PM

Cool, as I said earlier, this is just to get started I will run higher boost I just wanted to know. Basically I was messing with myself cause I couldn't wrap my head around some of the stuff I was reading. I do plan to up the Fuel Pump and injectors but figured I get a feel for it first.

I don't think I'll got for 15psi anytime soon I'll prolly upgrade the turbo before I do that. When all is said and done I plan to run a constant 12 or so but just want to make sure I don't goo kaboom before I get there.

Thanks guys.