Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Aftermarket Head

Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Ive been reading through the poweradder section for quite a bit just to look at all the topics I have never read since there are so many =P and it seems that people are so caught up in custom CAI's, custim IM's, TB's...etc.etc. when the biggest problem we have is in the head... it just seems people are spending so many thousands of dollars in customizing when it would just seem like a better idea to somehow get together and build an aftermarket head for us. Yeah, it sux we only have the air ram and a few people promising designs in months to come, but we dont have an aftermarket head either. If i knew how to make one, I would... but obviously I dont. I just think if I had the kind of money you guys have to put into this kinda customising, I just think it would make sense to put it towards the research and development of an aftermarket head, or atleast somehow fabricate a 2.0 honda head to fit out motor =P .... also being my curious self, are the DSM's heads similar to ours in that they are hard to produce lots of N/A power from them?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

dood, you cant just GET an aftermarket head.. at least under few thousand..

all you need to do is just do a great port and polish, upgrade valves, springs, cams.. thats where most of the money is at.

a good port and polish could be done for ~400$.
but the price kicks in when you get the valve springs, bigger valves, better cams..

getting an AFTERMARKET head for us, will not happen..
Old 11-13-2006, 12:41 AM

CAI's, IM's, and TB are on a whole different level than making a head.

First of all it is one solid piece, so someone would have to have the machine to make a mold then have the liquid metal to pour into that mold, and then the machines to drill the mold.

Alot harder than welding metal together.

you could buy a new 350z for the cost of producing hundreds of heads for our cars, since its never been done.

The machine that builds our IM is around 100,000 dollars
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned

a mahine to build our stock IM? or an IM? cuz it doesn't take much to build an aftermarket intake manifold.. just some fabbing of tubing, and a fabbed up plenum..
Old 11-13-2006, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The head is far from the "Biggest Problem" we have.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Supposedly our head flows rather horrendously, even ported we get pwnt by Honda/Mitsu heads. I haven't seen the actual cfm results posted by anyone, but some of the higher end turbo guys have had problems.

We just don't have the amount of people to support an aftermarket head endeavor.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 AM

its easy to make 5 or 6 IMs...

we are trying to make thousands...and the machine to do that is around 100,000
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I haven't seen the actual cfm results posted by anyone, but some of the higher end turbo guys have had problems.

Search, I've posted cfm's for stock heads and IM and a ported IM. I've been waiting for AGES to receive my ported head back so I can flow test it and compare the cfm to the stock head's cfm but i don't think I can even get into the lab anymore to flow test (it was months ago, almost 05'...)

so we'll never know. =(

and on the idea of making a mitsue or honda head that's compatible with a beta engine is ridiculous. Take the commen sense route and it'd be easier to make the entire mitsu (4g63t) engine fit into the bay, just figure out the whole axle/tranny issue...
Old 11-13-2006, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Did I say to use a Honda/Mitsu head? No lol, I'm just saying from the results given by some turbo guys, even their ported heads barely flow better than stock Honda/Mitsus.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

maybe I need to add quotes for ALL of my replies so people who don't read the whole thread don't get their panties in a bunch... ^^

QUOTE (KAW21100)
or atleast somehow fabricate a 2.0 honda head to fit out motor =P

rolleyes.gif